|Minimum Stay||3 - 7 nights|
MAJOR "REFRESHING" w/SIGNIFICANT UPGRADES 2016
Tired of arriving at your vacation destination only to find:
• towels are missing and you just stepped out of the shower?
• the springs in the chair sink to the ground and you were hoping for a cozy read?
• the hot water is cold and you’re covered with sand and shells?
• the Freon has drained dry in the air conditioning unit and it’s 99+ and sunny outside?
• the kitchen equipment you took camping exceeded what you find in the cabinets?
• the promised transportation doesn’t work and your feet are tired?
Merritt in the Middle, our “home away from home” offers:
• Freedom from the “oh, no” of disappointments mentioned above
• A cheerful, well maintained, well equipped ocean view cottage for families/friends looking for a quiet, relaxing, care-free vacation rental.
• Ocean views of South Beach off the front porch and the peaceful warmth of the maritime forest as a backyard
• Hardwood floors, freshly painted walls, colorful art work, dinnerware, games, books, and more…..
• Main home with inverted floor plan: LOWER with 2 bedrooms (master with Queen and TV, large bathroom including tub-shower, 2 sinks, and private screened porch; 2nd bedroom with 2 twins, queen sofa-couch, bath, TV), washer-dryer; UPPER with living/dining and kitchen, half bath, and comfortable front deck-porch with chairs and gorgeous views
• Porta-crib and high chair for your little one.
• Kitchen well equipped with spices, hot pot holders, pizza pan, cook books and other items to enjoy during your stay.
• 6 person golf cart with year-round maintenance agreement
* Two cruiser bikes for PAVED road use ONLY, 'as is' condition
• Experienced housekeeping whose goal it is to help us insure that your rental is of gold standard quality
• South Beach just a 3 minute walk across the street, East Beach or the Maritime Market or BHI Club with access to golf, tennis and swimming pool each just a 5 minute golf cart ride
• 14 miles of running on the beach, roads for biking beneath trees in the forest or along the coast
• Temporary membership available if you wish to purchase for Bald Head Island Club (options for golf, exercise facilities, tennis, croquet, restaurant) OR Shoal's Club (ocean side pool, restaurants!). BHI high $210week and Shoal's $180.
SAVE big w/ monthly rental $3000/mo mid Sept-mid May (excluding Easter weeks)!!!!
Loved our stay at Merritt in the Middle. It was everything the owners promised. It was perfect for our family for a long weekend, however if we were to stay longer, we would definitely need 2 golf carts and more stable beach chairs. The chairs were rusted out and broken. However, the amazing views and condition of the house was fabulous. Thank you!
We have stayed at Merritt in the Middle several times. The property is very clean, kitchen is stocked with everything you need. beautiful ocean view from the upper deck. very convenient to the beach access. The Merritts are meticulous about making sure that their guest are well taken care of. They have an on-island house manager who is incredibly responsive. its the perfect property for small families who want a beach view and convenient access to the beach.
This was our first visit to Bald Head, and we will definitely return! Merritt in the Middle was a perfect location to explore the island, as it provided easy access to the beaches, the marina, the market, and the clubhouse. The house is lovely, with a great view of the ocean from the upper floor where the public spaces are. The front deck was ideal for morning coffee, wine at sunset, and spectacular star-gazing at night. We were there with our college-age daughter and the two bedrooms/baths gave us plenty of space to relax and enjoy our visit. The home is very clean and fresh-looking, as well as comfortable, giving it a welcoming feel. The living area on the second floor is an open, light-filled space -- a perfect place to read in the afternoon, when we needed a break from the sun. The large kitchen, with a long breakfast bar, allows you to view the ocean while cooking and the openness of the area permits easy conversation with folks in the living and dining areas. The second floor has a bit of a loft feeling but the owner very wisely has a built-in gate to block off the stairs for any wandering toddlers! Merritt in the Middle is a great place to relax and the owner did a terrific job in advising and welcoming us on our first BHI visit.
This was our second stay at Merritt and our 8th time on the island - we LOVE the location and the fact that the house fits our family of 3 perfectly! The fabulous upgrades throughout the house - kitchen and both bathrooms especially were a great surprise upon our arrival and shows us that the owner wants to keep her renters happy! It worked! The deck was perfect again and spotted 3 shooting stars in one night!! The house is so perfect there is no need to look further- we are here to stay for as long as we are able to get to BHI! This is paradise for us and we now have the perfect home to return to!!
My family has been coming to BHI for 10 years and usually it's a larger group and we rent a big house on the ocean. This trip was a spontaneous mother-daughter weekend in the late spring and so we were looking for somewhere smaller to stay that would give us the same experience -- and this is it! Merritt in the Middle is perfect for a single family - the views of the ocean from the second floor are wonderful! There's a lovely upstairs deck to sit and read or drink a glass of wine, all while gazing at the ocean. Off the master bedroom is another deck with a hammock - and you are so close to the ocean that the sound of the waves crashing is the backdrop. The kitchen is fully stocked and the furniture is comfortable; it's decorated in a beachy, nautical style and it's recently renovated. We spent most of our time at the beach - so many super close beach access points to choose from. Everything you need that you don't want to bring with -- beach chairs, bikes, etc. -- is provided. The owner is super nice to work with and very responsive. We also appreciated the location in that it was convenient both to the Shoals Club/East Beach -- but also super close to the market for our daily trips for coffee and breakfast from the grill. It's always a gamble to rent a place without having seen it, but Merritt in the Middle is as good as it seems! We will definitely be back.
We (family of five with three young children) spent a great week at Merritt in Middle and could not have been happier! The views from the freshly updated kitchen could not be beat. I literally could not stop talking about it. We also enjoyed sitting on the top deck with a glass of wine marveling at the night sky. This is the closest we've stayed to the beach on our many trips to Bald Head Island and it was so worth it. You could hear the waves from bed! Great and easy communication with the owner and on-island assistance, if needed. Loved the short walk to the beach, nicely updated master bath and kitchen, bunk beds for kids, pack n play and high chair for baby, gate at the top of the stairs(!), boogie boards, basket of children's books, tons of games and puzzles, turtle light the kids loved and giant stuffed alligator, on and on. We can't wait to return, especially to take advantage of the short bike or golf cart ride to the Conservancy with fabulous programs for kids and fun on East Beach/the Shoals Club. Also convenient location for BHI Club that has an improved play and splash ground since our last trip. Great to get breakfast take-out from there on final golf cart ride the morning of our departure. Highlights include many dolphin sightings and views from the home's terrific location on the hill. Thanks for a terrific get-away. We hope to return soon!!
Two cruiser bikes for paved roads ONLY provided in 'as is' condition, Please bring helmets!
14 miles of ocean front jogging, surf fishing, trails through maritime forest, bike rental available and more
Bicycle/helmet Rental, Golf Cart Rental, Surf Board Rental, Kayak Rental, Beach Chair/Umbrella Rental all available Call 910-457-6844 or 910-457-4944.
|departure clean||$160 + Tax|
|Refundable damage deposit||$350|
Contracts AND Payment/Security Refund managed by privately hired accountant. NO associated FEES. TEMPORARY CLUB membership is available for guest to purchase if interested. BHI Club high/low season $210/$105 and Shoal's Club 2016 $180 (both membership fees included all in home).
Minimum age to rent 25 years
HIGH SEASON RENTAL = SATURDAY to SATURDAY, arrival and departure; Departure clean $135.00
MONTHLY rental available Oct 2014 to April 2015
Encourage vacation insurance (google or www.globaltravelshield.com)
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.