About the property
- Cottage1200 sq. ft.
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay1 - 7 nights
3 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms, Sleeps 6 plus infant
This newly renovated water front cottage with screened wrap-around porch overlooks Atkins Bay and is surrounded by woods at the end of a private lane. The complete kitchen features soapstone counters and a stainless refrigerator. The new bathrooms have spacious showers, soapstone counters, pebble floor, and skylight. There are heated floors throughout the living area. The master bedroom has a queen size bed and private bath. The second bedroom has a queen size bed and shares the second bath with the third bedroom which has bunk beds. The screened porch is perfect for lazy days of relaxation out of the sun or rain. The natural tidal waterfront on Atkins Bay is ideal for swimming, canoeing, kayaking, and sailing.
A few minutes drive and you are at the beach. The cottage supplied park pass provides entry to Popham Beach State Park where you can beachcomb, swim, sunbathe, surf, walk, and hunt for shells and sand dollars.
After a leisurely breakfast or lunch on the porch stroll the 4 mile beach, swim, collect shells, kayak, explore Fort Popham and Fort Baldwin, fly a kite, or just lie on the beach and soak up the sun. Play golf or tennis at nearby Sebasco Resort, antique in historic Bath, or tour the Maine Maritime Museum. Boats trips and whale watches are available from Boothbay Harbor. The Bowdoin Summer Music Festival and the Maine Music Theatre featuring Broadway musicals are within a 30 minute drive to Brunswick. Don't feel like cooking? Local restaurants provide an ever changing menu of regional flavors. After a fine meal at 5 star restaurant Fore Street in Portland stop in and browse through Cabela's in Scarborough or LLBean in Freeport (never closes...).
After a full day fall asleep listening to the sounds of the wind blowing through the trees and wake to the morning chatter of birds.
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few days
- Calendar last updated:
- May 19, 2018
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
Quiet and Peaceful
The title says it all. Quiet and peaceful. The cottage has been totally remodeled but the old charm remains. It is located in the woods right on Atkins Bay. We could not see our neighbors and we could not hear the cars on Popham Rd. A short drive to Bath for shopping and lots of nice eateries.
The cottage comes well stocked. The heated floors in the bathroom is a nice touch. The cottage has a pass to go to any of Maine's State Parks. We went to Popham beach which is only a minute drive from the cottage. The beach has to be one of the prettiest beaches we ever saw. The cottage also has two ocean Kayaks. They were a lot of fun paddling on the bay during the high tides. We went out almost everyday and we were the only ones on the water. The porch, ah the porch. Awesome, screened with skylights. The hammock, the bed and dinning table set. We had most of our meals on the porch.
If you are looking for privacy, peace and quiet, I think this is the place. We really had a great relaxing week.
We stayed at the cottage in August, and enjoyed every minute of it. The pros:
1) Beautiful, quiet, secluded setting -- the lead picture is an accurate representation
2) Only a mile from probably the best beach in Maine, Popham
3) A huge wraparound porch that basically is an additional living room
4) Incredible bathrooms -- you could spend your whole trip in the shower and not be disappointed
5) Fresh as can be lobsters from Small Point
6) Walking the rocky shore of or sea kayaking on the bay
7) Friendly, helpful service from the property manager
The (slight) cons:
1) No dishwasher. But the kitchen's so nice it's no problem to spend an extra 10 minutes doing dishes.
2) Somewhat remote. If you want to use this as a base station to tour up and down the coast, you could, but keep in mind it takes a good half hour to get back up to Bath and Route 1. We went grocery shopping once for the week and that was it, and took day trips to Brunswick and Boothbay. Fort Popham, just a few miles away, has Spinney's (good family restaurant) and a shop/ice cream parlor.
3) Bedrooms are cottage-sized -- adequate, but not huge. But they are cozy and comfortable, just like the whole cottage.
4) The bay is a tidal bay. Meaning that at low tide, you can see (but not smell!) the flats. At high tide, there's plenty of water to swim in though it's a rocky shoreline. We actually never swam in the bay, choosing to go to Popham (frequently!) with the included park pass.
We took this trip with our family of four (2 kids, ages 7 and 5), and my father joined us for a few days. We all loved it and would happily stay again.
I want to be clear that no one asked us to put up a review -- I kept telling my wife "We had such a great time, we should put up a review." And as we approach winter in Michigan our kids keep talking about that porch and the hammock and all the fun they had.
Atkins Bay cottage
My husband, young son and I just got back from a wonderful stay at Laurie's beautiful cottage. It was incredibly well stocked with all the necessities. It was pretty well child-proofed, even for our one-year-old. We loved the screened porch- a room in itself- and spent most of our time there.
Although the description says the Atkins Bay is good for swimming, we preferred to drive a minute to go to the (crowded but beautiful) Popham Beach. It's not walkable, but very close to the property.
Other Activities: Kayak from Spirit Pond to the ocean, up the Kennebec River to Atkins Bay and to the cottage.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
$300. Security deposit required to hold dates. Check-in @4pm. Check-out @ 10am.