|Minimum Stay||3 - 7 nights|
PLEASE CONTACT US DIRECT on 01621 817720 or 07759 077034 to discuss a potential booking. Our direct email address is not on Owners Direct Website. Hope Cottage is a delightful Victorian cottage which was built in 1875 . It is a lovely little house full of charm and character, with its own secure garden and off-street parking. The Cottage is situated in this unique pretty coastal town of Orford. Ideally located just 2-3 minutes (250m) from Market Square and all the amenities the village provides and a 5 minute walk to the Quayside. Unless you want to go further afield, just park your car and relax – everything is within a gentle stroll away .............................................................................................................
Bedrooms: 1 King, 1 twin bedded
Bathroom: Modern bathroom - Shower cubicle with “Power Shower”, Full Size bath, wash hand basin, Toilet, linen cupboard & Mirrored bathroom cabinet with sensor lighting & shaver/electric toothbrush socket
WC: Additional toilet housed in purpose built cloakroom in Utility Outbuilding
Kitchen: Fully fitted/Equipped kitchen & Shelved Pantry – Sink, Double Electric Oven with ceramic hob, Larder Fridge, Dishwasher, Microwave, Toaster, Kettle
Breakfast Room: Log Burner, Table with 4 chairs, single sofa & matching Pouffe, Lloyd Loom chair, High Chair, Pine display dresser/cupboard, Standard & side lamps, Bose Sound iPhone Docking Station with additional Bluetooth Music/Radio Receiver for pairing most mobile phones, Broadband receiver.
Sitting Room: 1 x 3 seater sofa, 1 x 2 seater sofa, coffee table, Nest of tables, 1 x mother & child standard lamp, single standard lamp & 2 table lamps, Sideboard with DVD player, Sky HD Box and additional Mini Wireless connector for "Catch-Up TV, Film Box Sets etc), Wall mounted TV
Outside: Paved driveway with off-street parking & additional parking directly on street across driveway. Secure garden. Newly completed (November 2015) fully paved Patio with Wooden Bench, Oak table and chairs by backdoor and raised flower bed. Grassed area to rear of patio with garden furniture (table & 6 matching chairs) plus plastic stacking chairs, Barbecue & sun parasol (in Summer)
Outbuilding: Fitted Wall & Floor cupboards, sink, worktops, Electric Kettle, washing machine, Table Top Freezer. Large Plastic Containers for outdoor footwear. Clothes line Prop. Laundry basket. Rack of Clothes Hooks for hanging Wet Coats etc. Door leading to Separate cloak room housing WC
Suitability: Non smoking cottage. Children and Dogs
Full Inventory available. Please contact us if required prior to booking to get a quotation etc.
Annie & Guy Hammerton – Speak English
Please contact us direct once you have visited our own website at www.orfordholiday.co.uk or www.hopeholidaycottage-orford.co.uk to see the latest reviews written by our guests in Visitors Book and from emails received. There is also much more detailed information on both cottage, Orford and surrounding areas together with a gallery of photos on the Cottage website.
We visited Orford 6 years ago on just the one occasion and fell in love with its uniqueness and friendliness and immediately decided this was the location for our 2nd home.
One visit to the Estate Agents/Antique Shop and within 2 months we were the proud owners of Hope Cottage! Over the past 5 years we have tried to modernise the property without demolishing walls or losing its character and “cottage feel” - building a new garage and paving the driveway, installing a new kitchen and bathroom. Building a new fireplace in the Breakfast room & installing a wood burning stove, carpeting the bedrooms and sitting room and creating a Utility Room and WC out of the earth floor outbuilding which was previously used as a wood store (with views through the roof tiles!) We completed work on a new patio with raised flower bed in November 2015. All windows and back door are double glazed.
We regularly stay in the cottage so will be around to make sure everything is “as it should be”. We absolutely love our little “bolt-hole” and everything Orford and the surrounding areas have to offer. We are sure you will do too…
Annie & Guy Hammerton purchased this cottage in 2010
We feel so lucky to own this lovely cottage in the unique, intimate & peaceful quintessentially “English” coastal village of Orford - aptly described by writer of TV’s Foyle’s War, Anthony Horowitz as “a little piece of heaven on earth….” extract taken from The Telegraph 2009. It was once a bustling port, now separated from the sea by Orford Ness, the largest vegetated shingle spit in Europe. Orford was named as one of the Top 101 Best Places to Live in Britain by The Sunday Times. We feel privileged to be accepted by the local community and enjoy being “part” of village life when we stay. It is officially a Town as it has a “Town Hall” but as there are only some 600 full time residents as well as a number of 2nd home owners – such as ourselves, it is referred to as a”village”. This historical little village with its Norman Castle really is an idyllic location with panoramic views from the river wall together with and all the amenities you could need in the Market Square – pubs, restaurants, shops etc. it really is the perfect place to “unwind” and enjoy whatever activities you have in mind..
Hope Cottage is in an ideal location being a stroll away from Market Square with all the village amenities – Village Store with Post Office & Cash Machine, Butchers shop,Pump Street Bakery, Craft Shop, Weekly Farmers Market held on Saturday mornings, Fish & Chip Van on Market Square every Wednesday night, pubs,restaurants and the historic Norman Castle. Another 5 minute walk away is the Jolly Sailor pub, quayside, river, marina and RiversideTea Room together with Pinney's Fresh Fish shop and Brinkleys Fresh Fish Shed by the quayside, where you can buy locally caught fresh fish.
Really sad to be leaving Hope Cottage after a most glorious week spent here. The cottage is really well appointed and it truly does feel like a "home-from-home" experience. Our children enjoyed so many different things, from crabbing at the quay to playing on the recreation ground and games of "hide-and-seek" around the cottage. We have both relaxed and learned to live the Orford way of life.
I've visited Orford many times over a period of 40 odd years and our stay in Hope Cottage was the most enjoyable yet. The cottage itself is superbly equipped, so much so that it was difficult to find anything that wasn't provided, and the location is a mere couple of minutes walk from the quay, the bakery and the Oysterage restaurant ensuring that the soul and the stomach are equally well catered for.
Parking is easy in the spacious drive and the small garden is a delight. Perhaps I shouldn't praise Hope Cottage too much or it will make it difficult for me to book my next visit!
Annie and Guy have ensured Hope Cottage really does feel like home from home. The high quality furnishings, linen and kitchen equipment make the cottage feel special. The utility room with washing machine is extremely useful. The garden is charming and was enjoyed by our two small dogs. Charming features throughout give it a warm feel. The location is idyllic, just a short step to the harbour and daily fresh fish.
It really was a pleasure to stay here.
Owners were very helpful and prompt in dealing with our booking and, from the moment we opened the door on arrival, we knew our holiday would be comfortable and relaxing. The cottage was immaculately cared for, really well equipped and there was lots of useful information about every aspect. The garden was a bonus, private and well sheltered.
We loved the historic village and spent lots of time sailing and observing wildlife. In a place like this you really don't need to go far afield.
The cottage was spotlessly clean, well maintained and obviously loved by the owners who provided excellent customer service throughout the process. The description is accurate and the pictures give a good overview. The cottage is nicely furnished and the owners have thought of absolutely everything. We liked the surprise basket of goodies on arrival, especially the little presents for our four legged friend. The garden is completely secure as long as the gate is closed. The neighbours have access across the rear of the property and through the gate but we only saw them once and never saw them using the access. Orford is a lovely and seemingly thriving village. The village shop is better stocked than our local Tesco. We ate in a different restaurant or pub on three nights and we still have others to try next time. They were all excellent; all within easy walking distance and our dog was welcome to join us in every one! We loved the lunch cruise on the "Lady Florence" - our dog loved it too. We also enjoyed Sutton Hoo, Dunwich village and heath and Woodbridge. On previous visits to the area we've enjoyed Southwold and Aldeburgh too. We highly recommend this property although we hope it doesn't become too popular as we plan to return!
Delightful cottage, immaculately presented and spotlessly clean. Well located in centre of village just a few minutes walk from friendly local Pubs, renowned Artisan Bakery and well-stocked village shop. Highly recommended. Attentive and responsive owner who was very helpful and prompt to deal with any queries.
My wife and I and our two dogs stayed over the Halloween weekend, having visited Orford before and drawn by the lure of the Pump Street Bakery which is a mere 2 minute walk away.
The cottage is surprisingly spacious but cosy and welcoming and every facility you could need is provided, right down to a toothpick I needed to remove a pesky raspberry jam seed. Oh and the jam was provided as well as several other welcome-basket goodies for both humans and dogs.
Easy-to-manage log burner (logs provided of course), the most comfortable sofas I've ever encountered, beautiful bathroom and bedrooms and lots of little period details wherever you look.
My wife and I have stayed at many self-catering houses and cottages over the years, with children, dogs and occasional grandparents in tow and this is right up there with the best.
Annie H was very attentive when I struggled with the broadband log-in and our breakage deposit returned in the post the next day as well.
As previous guests have indicated, we'll also be back, asap.
You’ll find stacks of more detailed information in the cottage about Orford and the surrounding areas but here is a summary of what Orford has to offer:-
• FRIENDS GARAGE - Run by Laura Gillespie (Laura received The British Empire Medal in 2012 for services to the community in Orford). You will find this a few yards away from cottage. The garage is a real treasure as it is not only a working garage and petrol station but you can buy coal, logs, gas, pet foods and even eggs from Laura’s chickens. Anything local you need to know, ask Laura! If she doesn’t know the answer then the question probably isn’t worth asking! She is the font of all knowledge. Check with her in advance regarding hire of bikes.
• THE RECREATION GROUNDS - (opposite Friend’s garage) is somewhere to kick a ball around with a full & ½ sized football pitch & tennis courts. There is a secure fenced children’s play area with swings, slides etc. The Clubhouse/Pavilion (called “The Shed”) is where local residents meet up to socialise. It’s basic but has very reasonably priced drinks in the evening, and often has special events (darts matches, quiz nights etc). It is also the site for The Orford Annual Flower Show which is held in August each year.
• ORFORD VILLAGE STORE & POST OFFICE - (owned by Penny). Extremely well stocked general store with wonderful Delicatessen counter. Fresh Bread, Rolls & Pastries daily. Licensed to sell alcohol. Locally sourced fresh foods and vegetables etc. Free cash withdrawals from Post Office – Shop open 7 days a week
• PUMP STREET BAKERY - attracts critics and foodies from all over the UK. As well as many kinds of delicious mouth watering Artisan breads and pastries (Winner of Best Food Producer BBC Food Awards 2012), Pump Street has now started making their own chocolate, using a bean to bar philosophy. Take your time and enjoy a meal in its’ café.
• NEWSPAPER & MAGAZINE BOOTH - Newspapers & Magazines are available from the booth at the front of the Town Hall from approximately 8.30am daily. When unmanned has quaint “honesty payment box – so remember to take coins/cash with you!”
• THE KINGS HEAD INN/RESTAURANT - (owned by Ian & Suzanne). Excellent food and children’s menu. Themed suppers during the month (Italian, Indian, Chinese etc). “Pie & a Pint” for £10 every Wednesday evening. Great Quiz nights on last Sunday of the month and special Live Music events. Decked area in front of pub for when the sun in shining
• ORFORD BASKET WARE & Craft shop, just by The kings Head Inn – selling wicker basket ware, pottery, postcards, gifts etc
• THE BUTLEY ORFORD OYSTERAGE - Famous fish restaurant. Sample some of the freshest fish in Suffolk & smoked fish from their PINNEY'S SMOKERY. Every day the restaurant’s two boats bring back the day’s catch, while plump freshwater oysters arrive from Butley Creek - Oysters travel just 3 miles from creek to plate!
• THE CROWN & CASTLE HOTEL & Restaurant (owned by Ruth Watson, The Hotel Inspector TV Series) for smart/fine dining in Trinity Restaurant & lunches in their smart pub
• ANTIQUE SHOP – Antiques, bric-a-brac. Shop that also houses the local Estate Agents!
• A MOBILE FISH & SHIP VAN parks in Market Square on Wednesday Evenings for traditional Fish & Chips – cholesterol overload!
• FARMERS MARKET – Held every Saturday morning in the Town Hall selling locally produced fresh foods, preserves & crafts etc. You can also have a lovely cup of tea or coffee and a cake while you browse.
• ST BARTHOLOMEW'S CHURCH & Chancel ruins (12th Century) - holds some fantastic concerts & events
• Methodist Chapel
_and last but not least...
ORFORD CASTLE – Historic Norman 12th Century Castle. One of England’s most unusual keeps. Its polygonal tower is totally unique. Extremely well preserved and now owned & maintained by English Heritage
A Few minutes’ walk from Market Square towards the Quay is:-
• THE JOLLY SAILOR INN/RESTAURANT (owners Corinne & Alex – Mother & daughter) has a very large beer garden at rear with space for children to run riot! - Car Park opposite if you don’t want to walk! Good food, children’s menus & special events throughout the year and you may well be lucky enough to be around to hear the “Quay Street Whalers” impromptu Sea Shanty singing!
• THE JOLLY STUDIO - in garage/annex next door to The Jolly Sailor Pub – open when weather is good - selling Artwork, crafts, crabbing equipment etc
• PINNEY'S OF ORFORD -Shop selling locally sourced fresh fish & exquisite smoked delicacies from their smokehouse, together with a few items of pottery, crafts etc.
• THE RIVERSIDE TEAROOMS - panoramic views of the river and beyond – Brunches, coffee, light lunches & afternoon tea
• BRINKLEY'S FRESH FISH SHED - (owned by Diane & Pete) for locally caught fresh fish. Amazing lobsters when in season
A National Trust Ferry runs between Orford Quay & Orford Ness Island, River cruises, Sailing, fishing, "crabbing" off the Quay, Bike Riding & Walks
|Refundable damage deposit||$185|
During the High Seasons minimum stay is normally 7 nights, however we may be able to offer shorter breaks of 3 nights and above...Please contact us to discuss your requirements and availability.
£100 deposit to secure booking. Balance plus £150 damage deposit payable 6 weeks prior to arrival. Deposit refunded once cottage is inspected at end of stay
Well behaved dogs welcome - £25 per dog per week
Changeover day is Friday for 7 night stays.
Arrival is after 4.00pm in afternoon with departure by 10.00am following Friday morning
Key Safe: Location and code will be advised immediately prior to your arrival.
Should you wish to book a shorter stay please contact us
Terms & Conditions: Can be found on website www.orfordholiday.co.uk
Please note we cannot guarantee speed of BT Broadband