|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
This is a unique opportunity to experience an Inverness cottage of your own. It is located on six acres stretching along the beginning of Tomales Bay. Enjoy gardens, flowers, orchard, marshes and year-round creek. There is an abundant variety of birds and wildlife.
Tomales Bay is at your back door, providing endless vistas of beauty and interest. Enjoy the ever-changing flow of water and quality of light. As the tide rises, take in the reflection of sky and rolling hills from the opposite shore, or the full moon rising over Black Mountain. The views are expansive.
As the tide recedes, watch for the variety of birds foraging for food along the shore, or footprints of deer as they move through the area. You may enjoy the view from the living room, outdoor deck, or sitting at the edge of the bay.
The cottage is approximately 3 miles from the Point Reyes National Seashore visitor Center, and just 2 miles from the town of Inverness.
Where to start: The hills, the sunset, the milky way. . .surreal. We'll be back someday to make sure we just didn't dream it up.
My husband & I rented this lovely cottage earlier this month. It was one of the best vacations and accommodations we've ever had. Suffice it to say that my husband NEVER cares about accommodations...but he said over and over, "This place is AWESOME!" (When we left Pt Reyes, we spent a few days in San Francisco at another VRBO property that was 3x the cost and a super high-end loft with magazine-spread design and tons of luxuries...my husband didn't even once say it was 'awesome.') But I understand why he was head-over heals about the Cottage on Inverness Bay:
* The sun-rise coming over the marsh! Wowza! We got lucky the first morning and just happened to get up early enough to see it. We set our alarms for the next mornings to make sure we didn't miss the next ones.
* The nights! It felt like being on a comfy bed in the middle of nature....the weather was perfect for leaving windows open at night. The cottage is tiny, so with windows left open on all sides, the sounds and breezes seemed to be all around us. Every imaginable bird made sounds through the night that kept us drifting in and out of magical sleep. A skylight over the bed made it just that much more nature-intense.
* There's so much light from all sides of the cottage, it always felt like the lights were on during the day, even when nothing was turned on.
* Comfort -- everything we needed in the kitchen, bath, room for our belongings, notes here and there clarifying anything that we might have questions about. This owner is very conscientious and wants to make sure her guests are happy. After long days of hiking, we couldn't wait to get 'home.' We thought we'd go out for dinners, but we really just wanted to be in this cottage, so we cooked or got take out and enjoyed being there. Peaceful beyond description
* Location! It's close to town, but an easy drive into the Pt Reyes National Seashore. We were there to enjoy nature, so were happy to have a place that made it easy to get to hiking trails, yet still close enough to get necessities. We became fans of Perry's Grocery and Deli in Inverness Park, a very short distance away.
I can't imagine we won't be back to Pt. Reyes and now we know where "home" is there -- we'd be very disappointed if this place isn't available the next time we'll be traveling to that area. The only think I can think of that could make this place better is a washer/dryer. But the benefits far outweigh that one missing piece, especially for a short stay.
This cottage is beautifully appointed and very comfortable. Both inside and out are true works of art, and clearly show the eclectic and sophisticated nature of the owner. The views are exquisite. You can do as much or as little as you want. Our dogs had a wonderful time lying in the sun on the deck. This beautiful cottage is a real find!
The cottage is overall recommended, and has numerous lovely qualities.
And, there are a few things we wished we had know/would be improved if we were to stay there again.
A few of the many pluses of the cottage
~ gorgeous view out the window of plains, hills, and waterway
~ great for bird watching, and host provides binoculars as well
~ natural (largely organic) kitchen with fantastic range/oven
~ wonderful tub with jets, and tons of hot water available
~ loads of host-provided information about the area
~ fast internet and working cell reception
~ fireplace you can use
Wish had know / were different
~ fridge is right next to bedroom, and when it comes on, it is easily heard whirring away, inches from your head
~ the bed has large people-divots on each side, making sleeping it somewhat uncomfortable and hilly
~ the kitchen has adequate furnishings, but not exceptional. Only one, wooden cutting board, with deep grooves and holes
~ the bedroom is full of light at night, with un-shaded high windows and skylight
~ the heater is in the bedroom, and while that room can be comfy, the other rooms would be much colder (or the bedroom very hot)
We love this cottage. It is truly a little slice of heaven - an escape for us. We've stayed there twice and will definitely return. There is everything you need to feel at home. Comfy and cozy. Immaculate. A well-supplied kitchen if you want to cook. Peaceful surroundings. Occasional deer visitors. Close to everything - yet quiet, quaint, peaceful. We are grateful this cottage is available for share with people like us who dislike hotels and like staying at places where we feel "at home"! A perfect retreat.
Our stay at this cottage was perfect in every way. It is cozy, quiet and comfortable and everything you might want is available. We loved having breakfast on the deck in the mornings. We enjoyed the secret garden, and in the early evening, watched the abundant bird life from the chairs at the end of the boardwalk....with a glass of wine, of course! The cottage is minutes away from Pt. Reyes National Seashore, Pt.Reyes Station, and the town of Inverness but is secluded and private. We loved it and will be back again..and again...
My husband and I cannot say enough about how serene and relaxing our time at the cabin was. It's situated in a lovely little meadow right off the road, but oh so hidden from the hustle and bustle of the traffic and the outside world. The interior of the cabin is extremely comfortable and cozy-perfect for a couple like us who just like to sit and read and cook dinner together. We had plans to go out and travel so much more while we were in the Point Reyes area, a beautiful area busting with great food, and beautiful landscapes, but found ourselves just mesmerized by the tidal marshes natural displays and the solitude-we really only left to gather food and more books! We look forward to visiting our new found hideaway as often as we can possibly afford to, and had a wonderful time working with Louise to make sure our trip was perfect. Thank you so much, we have not stopped talking of this space since we got home!
The Point Reyes/Inverness area has much to offer visitors. Besides beautiful hiking trails, The Point Reyes National Seashore and the Tomales Bay State Park, there are some wonderful shops and restaurants in the area. The county of West Marin is full of people who appreciate growing and serving fresh vegetables and excellent, so the restaurants and food shops offer a wide range of interesting, organic, and local cuisine, cheese, and wines. Additionally we are blessed with a wonderful bookstore and many unique gift shops and galleries.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
No credit cards accepted.