About the property
- Chateau / Country House2098 sq. ft.
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay2 - 5 nights
5 Bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, split between our two gîtes.
Rent both our homes, 1686903 and 1686901, at a reduced rate!
What it’s like
Staying at our gîtes on the hill will make you feel on top of the world: each accommodation is absolutely private, with its own garden, amongst the safe and spacious surroundings of an attractive park and apple orchard.
SHORT STAYS QUITE POSSIBLE: PLEASE INQUIRE SEND A MESSAGE.
Indulge in peace and tranquillity.
From the terrace, enjoy the outstanding panoramic views of the quiet unspoilt countryside, a breath of our fresh air, the famous Norman ever-changing light. On warm days, rest in the shade of the arbour, and on cooler days, enjoy the marble fire-place inside. Take a walk through the orchard to the swing set or to visit our two friendly Shetland ponies in the field nearby, who eagerly await treats.
Floors are tiled, with laminated parquet in the bedrooms.
• Accessible to persons with disabilities
• All open living-room, dining-room, kitchen.
• Living-room with splendid antique red-marble fireplace, comfortable double sofa, 6 armchairs.
• Fully equipped kitchen: 5-burner gas range, double stainless steel sink, dishwasher, washing machine, large farm dining table and chairs.
• Bathroom with large walk-in Italian shower, counter-top basin, wall-hung toilet.
• 1 bedroom with 1 double bed and 1 single bed.
• 1 bedroom with 1 queen-size bed
• 2 bedrooms with 2 single beds
• Bathroom with walk-in shower, counter-top basin, WC.
• Open concept living area is tiled throughout
• Sitting and dining area offers a beautiful brick fireplace, and comfortable double sofa-bed
• Sofa-bed is used to accommodate five-guest parties
• Fully equipped kitchen: dishwasher, 4-burner propane hotplate, refrigerator/freezer, electric oven, etc…
• Bathroom with shower, WC, counter-top basin, washing-machine
• Open concept bedroom with laminate parquet floor
• 1 queen size bed
• 1 single bed
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- english, french, spanish
- Calendar last updated:
- May 21, 2018
About Catherine Rigaud
In the 1930’s, my parents, Marie-Reine and Louis Rigaud, were buying, maturing and selling cheese on Parisian markets, in particular the famed Camemberts made by Alfred Marie of Montpinçon, in Normandy of course. Alfred travelled to Paris to meet these two young industrious cheese mongers who were so successful in selling his Camemberts, even during the hot summer days when the French do not eat so much fermented cheese and turn to “fromage frais”. A friendship developed between the cheese-maker and the cheese mongers. My parents had this dream urban people often had then to own a farm in not-too-distant Normandy. Alfred the cheese-maker offered to sell them any of his 200 farms. And so it happened that the estate of La Hoguette was purchased in February of 1940, complete with its 27 acres of apple orchards, farm buildings and farm-house for the farmer and his family. Most of the land and the farm were sold at my father’s death in 1966, and I inherited the maison de maître with the 9-acre orchard in 1985. I was living in Canada then, working as a translator for the Department of Justice. However, I decided that my parents’ dream of a country property in Normandy had to live on, that it would live on as a holiday home rental business. In 1992, the restoration of two of the outbuildings began, with the dedicated help of my two sons, and the first rental was in September of 1992. In the late 1990’s, I decided to come and live at La Hoguette on a more permanent basis: thanks to Internet, I could practice legal translation, even from a remote village in Normandy. I shall be happy to greet you at La Hoguette, to show you my favourite places, to explain the Norman way of life, the Norman countryside and history. Normandy is where I was raised and educated, before I left for Toronto in 1971. I provide an insider’s view, with lots of stories to be told and people to be met, and I endeavour to make your stay at La Hoguette an enriching adventure in Normandy.
Catherine Rigaud purchased this Chateau / Country House in 1940
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 10:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
ReviewsThis property doesn't have any reviews yet.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
1. Short term stays are possible. Please inquire. 2. Payment of security deposit upon arrival: credit card, personal cheque in your own currency.