3 Bedrooms, 1 Full Bathroom, Sleeps 6 Maximum
Doug & Leah Johnson
About Doug & Leah Johnson
The family photo above is from a sunset cruise in Rockland Harbor, on the windjammer 'A Morning in Maine'. My wife and I are both high school art teachers in Massachusetts. We love fixing up old houses and especially love Owls Head Maine!
Doug & Leah Johnson purchased this Apartment in 2008
Why Doug & Leah Johnson chose Owls Head
The cottage has a lot of charm and character, decorated with artwork, antiques and treasures found on the beach. We are collectors of everything, specializing on finding heart shaped rocks, driftwood and sea glass found on various beaches close to the Post Office.
What makes this Apartment unique
2, two person kayaks are available to use with this rental. You can dolly them down the hill and launch them next to the Lobster Wharf. Cruise through Owls Head Bay and 5 minutes out to the left is the Owls Head Lighthouse. 10-15 minutes out to the right are two deserted islands to visit and explore. Our favorite is Sheep's Island, which has an expansive sandy beach, which is easy to land on. If your lucky, you will have the entire island to yourselves. The views back to the Camden Hills is to die for!
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
Well behaved pets considered. Prior approval.
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
WOW! What a wonderful place!!
Amazing landscaping, flower gardens, very unique. Working post office on main level...3 levels of living up above, including the cool cupola added by the owner. Truly in a class of its own. The themed approach (Owls Head, Nautical, USPS), very tastefully done by the owners. We were wowed!! It's unusual that the reality is better than the pictures, but in this case it was far better than anticipated. We wish we had more than 2 nights to enjoy the grounds and star gazing from the deck off the well stocked kitchen! We hope to come back and stay longer to enjoy Owls Head and the Rockland area. Doug was so easy to work with. Highly recommend!!
Tom, It was such a pleasure to host you guys. Thanks for your kind words. This place has been a labor of love. Hope you return someday. Cheers. Doug
Perfect Artistic Getaway
We had a wonderful week. The space is just beautiful. Magnificent gardens and the harbor just down the road provided ample opportunities for creating art- watercolor and photography. Lovely area to walk too, and close to Rockland and Camden. The hosts were wonderful too. We loved every minute!
Patricia, Thanks so much for your kind words. Hope you had plenty of time to make some art! Best regards, Doug
Over the top special!
Yes, it is a special place. The Post Office is just that! Still a working post office with a “museum-like” apartment on the top three floors, lovingly decorated with antiques in the most functional way. After three days we still found treasures we hadn't noticed on day one or two. It is a fun place. And the private garden with small pond in the back yard is just beautiful. Early September found us mesmerized with the number of monarch butterflies and song birds enjoying the gardens. Sitting by the little backyard pond found us listening for the resident frog. It was as peaceful as could be.
Our first afternoon was didn’t down the hill at the end of the road watching the lobster boats bringing in their daily catch and enjoying the ocean breeze.
We spent a rainy day at The Owls Head Transportation Museum and another day taking the ferry from Rockland to Vinalhaven. It’s just a great location in mid-coast Maine.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend The Post Office.
Fabulous Place To Stay
Interesting........but not worth the price.
1. The apartment is certainly not child proof. Stairs, railings, a very heavy coffee table that is ready to fall on a person’s foot, a piece of art on the deck that looks like a Christmas tree but made from exhaust pipe extensions, etc.
2. This is advertised as being able to sleep 6 but that is under special conditions, best for just a couple.
3. Stairs, stairs, and more stairs. If you are a person who has trouble with stairs, or you don’t want to carry all your belonging upstairs this place is not for you.
4. No air-conditioning.
5. The top widow’s walk area has two bunks and you easily hit your head on one of them getting up the stairs/ladder. The ocean cannot be seen from anywhere in the building and there are no shades or curtains except the lower half of the end window in the widow walk. During the day it is very hot up there, like a greenhouse and at night there is no need for a nightlight. There is a streetlight and a floodlight just outside that provide plenty of light.
6. The middle loft has one bed that requires a bit of unusual movements to get into since there is a close slanted ceiling and a large foot board on the bed. Again, no need for nightlight due to lack of window coverings and the lights mentioned in #5.
7. There are no doors separating rooms except for a large slider on the only bathroom.
8. The general store that was mentioned in the ad said they also served the best breakfast but, it is closed and there is a sign in the window saying, “FOR SALE”. A local person I spoke with said the store has been closed for two years!
9. The pond out back is better described as a very small vernal pool that is a breeding ground for mosquitos!
10. Traffic, not usually a problem at a quaint retreat. But you must remember the lower floor is the post office and the building is located at a intersection and at the top of a hill. The occasional coming and going of locals going to the post office is fine. Other times we have vehicles including trucks and motorcycles coming up the hill and starting from a stopped position in the intersection. The noise is especially bothersome early in the morning. Remember the intersection is only feet away from where you sleep and there is very little to stop the noise.
11. The driveway is sometimes blocked by cars belonging to people going to the post office. There is a sign telling people not to block the driveway but that does not work at times.
12. The building is interesting.
This is our first unfavorable review in ten years of renting The Owls Head Village Post Office. Fixing up this place and sharing it with guests, has been our passion and it’s difficult to hear when someone is not completely satisfied. We have had all stellar reviews and many guests return year after year. I wish you would have let us know about your concerns during your stay and we would have done everything in our power to try and make you happier during your stay. That said, there are some constructive comments in your review that we plan on addressing over the winter. Thank you for your detailed response.
we Loved our weekend stay at the post office. Our family visited the missions, went kayaking, loved rock city cafe, hiked beech hill and packed the most we could into a weekend. We are already planning our visit for next summer. Would recommend 100%. Very clean, great linens, and all things there that are needed. Also, with rockland very close, a grocery store etc was just a quick ride. Great great great.
Kayak and sailing trips; Owl's Head Transportation Museum; Farnsworth Art Museum, Wyeth Museum; Owl's Head Lighthouse; Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse; Camden Harbor and State Park; ferries available nearby to Monhegan Island, Isleboro, Matinicus and Vinalhaven; nationally known lobster festival, blues festival, boats and harbor show; tennis and golf at nearby Samoset Resort. Primo, one of the mid-coast's finest restaurants, complete with organic produce, and locally raised meat is right around the corner.