3 bedroom, 2 bath home on 6+ wild acres with Observatory and telescope
About Lori Bugaj
Lori and John Bugaj currently live in Seattle, but have always loved the Southwest. We love to travel, especially when we can find a home to stay in to use as a base for our exploration of an area. We are happy to share this lovely home with you in an area that has so many amazing things to see.
Lori Bugaj purchased this House in 2017
Why Lori Bugaj chose El Rito
El Rito Lodge and the surrounding high desert is completely opposite of the rainforests of the Pacific Northwest. We love the beauty, emptiness, and the grand, open skies of this area. We have visited New Mexico many times throughout our lives, starting with Albuquerque, then Santa Fe, and Taos. But we love the remoteness and the impressive rock formations near El Rito. It sounds strange, but this area feels spiritual. When we are here, there is a deep peaceful feeling inside. It is truly a place to relax, rest and rejuvenate the spirit.
Check-in: 3:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
Please no smoking inside the house.
Please clean up messes inside + outside the house.
Big open spaces; children welcome.
Max guests:8 (sleeps up to 8 adults)
Please no unattended open flames. We are in a western wildfire zone.
Please ensure telescopes and observatory are left as you found them (e.g. covers on lenses, roof and doors locked).
100% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 7 days before arrival date.
El Rito Lodge
Absolutely perfect in every way. Secluded getaway with all amenities. Easy access to the magnificent Carson National Forest. A well appointed quality property. We felt so at home we even sharpened the kitchen knives for the next user!
Fabulous place to get away and see the stars!
This is a fabulous house out in the beautiful rural area, so it offers quiet privacy with great views of the stars. It is big, and has all the amenities. The internet and DirecTV kept us plugged in (as much as we wanted!), and I liked that the house has a desk with a printer. We hired a local astronomer to help us learn to use the telescopes, and he was amazing. We were able to see star clusters, galaxies, and the 4 big gas giant planets - Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. We could see the Milky Way from the southern horizon to the northern one - a sight that you must see to believe.
The house itself is well-furnished and we loved the Southwestern decor. Big dining table and very large great room are really nice. We traveled to Sante Fe, the Ghost Ranch, and Albuquerque. We ate several times at the local restaurant (less than 2 miles away) and loved it.
We hiked from the house up into the hills of the Carson National Forest, and saw more spectacular scenery there.
We are already planning our next trip to see the sky and all the wonderful sights in northwest New Mexico, including going to Four Corners.
If you love the sky, this is a must-do!
Beautiful, large house
While it is a bit out of the way, the lodge is still a good choice to stay because it is easy to get to the Ghost Ranch and other Georgia O’Keefe sites. It is a lovely home with lots of room and is furnished beautifully! The beds were very comfortable and everything was clean. We had five in our group, and we all thought the lodge had been an excellent choice.
Beautiful, relaxing home; gorgeous, peaceful land.
Owner was extremely helpful and prompt. Staying here was a wonderful experience. Hope to return soon!
- Carson National Forest is right in our backyard. Many acres of barely-explored trails and spectacular rock climbing spots.
- El Farolito Restaurant is our local folksy eatery touted in Gourmet magazine, among others. Not much to look at, but the food is AMAZING. They recommend the green chili stew and the "excellent Fritos pie". I always go for their chicken enchilada/chili relleno combo with green
and red chile (Christmas). Sopaipillas with honey are a must have in this entire area.
- Plaza Blanca Ranch is just about 10-15 minutes away. These spectacular white-rock badlands were painted by Georgia O'Keefe. Plaza Blanca was also the location of the alien ship in "Cowboys and Aliens"
- Ojo Caliente Mineral Baths and Spa are about 20 minutes by back, small local roads/ 45 minutes using major roads. A wonderful place to spa and relax. And eat.
- Ghost Ranch Education and Retreat Center is 20 minutes away. Georgia O'Keefe painted a lot here. You can hike, camp out, meditate, yoga, paint or take classes.
- Rio Grande Gorge Bridge is on the way to Taos. At 650 feet (200 m) above the Rio Grande, the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge is the second highest bridge on the US highway system, and the fifth highest bridge in the US. The bridge has appeared in several films, including Natural Born Killers, Twins, She’s Having a Baby, Wild Hogs, and Terminator Salvation.
- El Santuario de Chimayo is one of our favorite places in the world. It is just about an hour away in the tiny, charming town of Chimayo. The current El Santuario was built in 1816 and the holy dirt in the side chapel is said by many to have miraculous healing powers. There is much peace, love and hope to be found at this quiet, inviting place.
- Santa Fe is about 1 hour away with many things to do and see here
- Taos is also about 1 hour away. Smaller than Santa Fe, but with great shops, skiing, restaurants, etc.