|Minimum Stay||4 nights|
When you book through the HomeAway checkout, your booking is backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee™ offering comprehensive payment protection.Learn more
We are Located on the southeast shore on the Kalapana coast. As a completely separate guest home on nearly 3 acres of an ocean front parcel, this very private rental is nestled in a lush tropical garden and has all the charm of old Hawaii. This all cedar cottage provides homey comfort in a relaxed rural area away from the usual tourist scene yet with easy accessibility to other attractions. A private driveway with covered carport, a sunny yard and an abundance of flowers and fruit trees add to the convenience and pleasure of staying in your own piece of paradise. In the 2009 Summer Edition of 'Outside Magazine', Peaceful Cove Cottage was rated one of the top 50 best places in the country to 'get away from it all'.
Relax on the lanai in some of the best weather Hawaii has to offer; or let the soothing sound of ocean waves invite you to meander along your own private nature trail through a pristine wooded area rich in native flora. A minute's walk brings you to the beautiful ocean and peaceful cove. Blue skies, sparkling water and a fascinating coastline lie before you. Walk right along the ocean easily for miles on an old lava field and discover volcanic black sand and interesting lava formations,(lower lava trail). Hunt for shells and witness spectacular sunrises and sunsets, and if you're lucky you may view at a safe distance the incredible sight of recent lava activity flowing into the ocean. Or take the 'upper lava trail' which is a bit more rugged but walkable on the dramatic cliffs with sea spray propelling high into the air and a 360' view taking in the coastline and mountain. Also awaiting you at this spot we have named 'turtle bay' is the privileged chance to watch sea turtles riding the waves and/or diving for food The shoreline is rocky and the ocean not suitable for swimming but these walks are a one-of-a-kind exploration. Swimming and snorkeling are available in nearby tide pools or warm ponds within a short drive. Also a small black sand beach where you may enter the water is within a short drive.
We welcome you to visit us in Kalapana on the Big Island for a vacation of a life time.
Our family transplanted to Hawaii from the mainland in 1975 and have made this incredible island our home ever since. We bought this lovely 3 acre ocean front property in 1986 while it was in it's original pristine state. Carefully and tenderly we sculpted the environment to maintain the natural integrity of the land. We built 2 homes on the property, one where we live full time and the other as a guest cottage. The homes are separated by lush vegetation with separate driveways and cannot be seen or heard from one another yet we are close enough to be available to our guests at any time. The result is a unique tropical landscape where we offer our guests a glimpse of life in true old Hawaii.
Cheryl purchased this cottage in 1986
Kalapana is a place of exquisite natural beauty and real Hawaii charm. This is a rural community where a slow pace is the norm and the sense of aloha is respected and practiced.
We were drawn to this area for having the best weather on the island. The prevailing trade winds blow from just the right direction to keep the temperature pleasant all year round. The rainfall is gentle and light- just enough to allow for an abundance of flowers and foliage, but not too wet. The sun shines, the sea sparkles and at night the stars seem close enough to touch.
Please note that the grounds are graced by four sweet cats. Kea, Wili, Leo and Bro are right at home in your lap or they will become scarce if you prefer. They are not allowed inside and they have their meals at my home. We also have lovely song birds and seed is provided if you choose to feed the birds.
Peaceful Cottage Cove was a perfect paradise vacation. Cheryl was very welcoming on arrival. I arrived shortly after a storm, but the only effect on the cottage was no power for a couple of days. No problem! I was almost disappointed when it did come on. It's the place to relax and be immersed in aloha. Sunrises over the Pahoehoe lava and the Pacific are a short walk through the forest. You can hear -- even feel the waves back at the cabin. Birds, geckos and frogs abound in the beautifully maintained landscaping. Make sure to stay over a Wednesday to go to Uncle Roberts Awa (Kava) Bar. It's a short walk down the road (or over the lava) and you won't find a more genuine Hawaiian evening of music, food and drink. The Kalapana coast is now one of my favorite spots and I will be back to the cottage again and again. Thank you Cheryl!
Our family of 4 (including 2 kids) had a fantastic time at the cottage.
- It is completely surrounded by thick green vegetation. Even the driveway to the main street is kind of hidden such that you wouldn't see any vehicles or people while staying in the cottage or around in the yard.
- The colorful birds in the backyard are a treat to feed and watch. Cheryl has a container of bird seed that we could use for the bird feeders.
- There is a 2 min hike over a trial from the back yard that leads to the ocean. My kids enjoyed it very much.
- We enjoyed our time at the 'end of the road-Uncle Robert's' event on Wednesday evening. Lots of good food and music.
- The property is close to the staging ground for the hike to the Lava flows. I rented a bike and was lucky enough to see real hot lava flowing 10 feet from me :) (Note that you can only rent bikes from the staging area here and not the staging area on the other side of the flow in the Volcanoes national park)
- Cheryl is wonderful and is very reachable. She dropped by right away when we needed help with starting the washer onetime.
Vey nice place in a quiet neighborhood, the house is very cozy and close to the attractions that the island offert in this area, the back yard with beautiful trees, fruits and the ocean right there for you, the owner was away during our stay but her neighbor was always there to help us with directions and tips about the area.
Great experience, recommended for those who really enjoy nature
Velez Palomino family
Peaceful Cove Cottage fully lived up to its name and exceeded expectations for its beautiful lush landscaping and cozy interior. Major points:
* Cheryl met us shortly after check-in and thoroughly acclimated us to both the cottage and the surrounding area (grocery stores, restaurants, etc...) . It was reassuring to know that she and her husband live "just next door" in case of any need that might arise. There is so much tropical foliage surrounding this cottage that one cannot see her home from it.
* The lack of curb appeal on the corner of the cottage that you'll first see when driving in is more than compensated by the rest of the dwelling. The back side of the cottage facing the walkway to the ocean is attractive and framed in beautiful landscaping. The interior is cozy with a full kitchen, surprisingly large bathroom with a strong hot shower, and two bedrooms that have interior doors for privacy. Two decks overlooking the back yard include reclining chairs. Beautiful tropical flowering plants surround the property, as well as plants bearing fruit including mango, pineapple, and banana. Ate fresh mangos throughout our stay by selecting those that were undamaged by their fall from the trees..some on the cottage roof.
* The kitchen has all utensils that one needs as well as many "extras" such as salt, pepper, coffee filters, etc.... that rentals often don't have.
* Unlike the opinion of one previous reviewer, my wife and I were completely satisfied with the bed in the master bedroom, and, believe me, we are sticklers for bed firmness and comfort..
* Coquis indeed sang robustly every night. One person in our party of four needed earplugs but I actually enjoyed their singing which helped lull me asleep. Also, there is a rooster and hen that we saw wandering through the property and he would start his crowing at about 1/2 hour before sunrise. Again, to me, this added positively to the overall experience and even for my wife, who normally is a late sleeper.:
* Surrounding area: Beautiful canopied drive up route 137 with several beaches. Be sure to stop at McKenzie Park for some beautiful ocean spray pictures from a lava rock cliff but be careful if you have children because there is no guardrail at the cliff. Culture: people in area are extremely laid back and unpretentious.... go to Uncle Roberts Wednesday for interesting sampling of the culture. Pahoa is best local place for good restaurants and a couple of grocery stores
We have stayed with Cheryl 3 times over the past 4 years. It always feels like we are coming home. We wouldn't keep returning if we didn't love it. We have been here with our son and his family, ages 8 to 74.
We had stayed at Cheryl's lovely cottage for two weeks. It was everything we hoped for. The location and surroundings are gorgeous - truly a paradise!
The property is very peaceful and private, we even had our own private path to the ocean (it is very short and feels like a walk through a botanical garden). We had everything we needed in the house, fully equipped kitchen, etc. etc. Absolutely loved sitting on the lanai overlooking a garden, at all times of the day and night. Also, there is lots to see and do within a short distance of the house: black sand beaches, parks, tide pools for great snorkelling, lava fields to explore, farmer's markets, especially Uncle Robert's market where every Wednesday and Saturday locals and visitors get together to shop, eat, listen to live music, dance and socialize. The community spirit of this place is something you probably haven't experienced in a long time if you are an outsider from the mainland. Warm, easy going, lovely people all around! We had a great vacation and wished we could stay another two weeks! Hope to visit again in the future. Thank you Cheryl and David!
Exploring old lava fields and viewing the active volcano. Also meandering just down the road to Uncle Roberts for weekly live Hawaiian music/food and vendors for a taste of real local flavor. This is a must -do if you are staying on Wednesday night or Saturday morning.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
4 night minimum stay
|cleaning||$95 + Tax|
Rental rate is for 2 adults, no additional charge for children or adult children. Two Hawaii State taxes, Excise and Transient Accommodation (Ex & TA) @ 13.25% are required.