Situated on the Madawaska River on 3+ private acres is a wonderful summer cottage. Enjoy swimming, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, hiking and relaxing in nature. A beautiful, clear, babbling creek runs the length of the property. The creek is perfect for exploring, sitting beside the waterfall or listening to from the comfort of the screened porch. Stargaze at night and enjoy a crackling campfire.
The cottage sits within the boundaries of the Lower Madawaska Provincial Park and has easy access to hundreds of kilometers of crown land. There are many trails with in-land lakes and mountain top lookouts that will take you and your family into remote locations. The trails offer limitless exploring by foot, mountain bike, ATV and trail bike. The Griffith Uplands Trail starting point is 3 km away and offers a 4-5 hour hike with incredible views and berry picking, or enjoy a smaller out and back trip.
The Madawaska River is a jewel. The Lower Madawaska Provincial Park has a series of well-labeled access points along the river for day hikes, swimming and fishing. For canoeists, it is easy to tailor the length of your canoe adventure. Paddle right to our cottage from the many put-in locations along the river (Aumond’s Bay, Bucks Bay, Slate Falls, Crooked Rapids).
This part of the river can be run in a day or broken up into smaller day trips with beautiful campsites along the way to stop for some food and a swim. There are rapids and calm sections all along the lower section of the river and each rapid has a portage trail, if needed. Just above and below our cottage are some fun areas to canoe or kayak in, depending on water levels.
Motorboat access is available just south of Griffith. Public boat access points are located a few minutes drive from the Griffith General Store. Here the river flows into Centennial Lake and Black Donald Lake, providing miles and miles of excellent boating, waterskiing, tubing, swimming and fishing.
In the Town of Griffith (4.5 km away), you can shop at the general store with the LCBO/Beer outlet, enjoy a meal at the Pine Valley Restaurant or Calvyn’s Pub and arrange your canoe rentals and shuttle rides. Griffith has most amenities in the event something was forgotten. Bancroft, Eganville, Renfrew, and Northbrook have full grocery stores.
Our River Cottage has something for all ages and interests; from adventurers to those who are looking to relax in peace and quiet. The owners are active adventure seekers and continue to explore this incredible part of Ontario, finding new places and things to do year after year. We look forward to sharing this wonderful place with you!
• 3 Bedrooms: each with a queen size bed – bed linen provided
• Bathroom: 3 piece, with shower – towels provided
• Kitchen: fridge, stove, microwave, coffee maker, tea kettle, pots & pans, utensils, dishes, glassware and table for 6
• Porch: screened, overlooking creek and river
• Washer, Dryer – Eco friendly soap provided
• Board games, books, cards, local maps, hiking and canoe information provided
• BBQ and propane
• Campfire pit
• Floating dock
• 1 Canoe with 2 adult life jackets.
• Canoes and shuttle available from Don Adams at Greater Madawaska Canoe Rentals in Griffith.
Please bring your own:
• Beach Towels
• Children’s Lifejackets
• Water shoes – these are handy for exploring the creek
Approximate driving times:
• Swim, Fish, Hike, Bike, Canoe, Kayak, Photography, ATV – right from your doorstep
• Boating on Centennial Lake and Black Donald Lake – boat launch in Griffith - 10 min
• Bon Echo Provincial Park (beach, boat tours, hike the rock) – 40 min
• Calabogie Motorsports – 50 min
• Calabogie Peaks Resort – 50 Min
• Golf courses – Eganville, Calabogie, Renfrew – 40 – 50 min
• Greater Madawaska Canoe Rentals, Griffith – 5 min
• Madawaska Kanu Centre – 1h 30 min
• Paddler’s Co-op @ Palmers Rapids – 45 min
• Rafting on the Ottawa River (Owl’s Rafting, RiverRun Rafting, Wilderness Tours Whitewater Rafting & Kayaking) – 1h 15 min
• Rockclimbing – Bancroft – 50 min
• Wilno Tavern in Barry’s Bay – 65 min
• Bancroft – 50 min
• Barry’s Bay – 65 min
• Calabogie - 50 min
• Eganville – 40 min
• Northbrook – 50 min
• Kingston – 2 hrs
• Renfrew – 45 min
• Ottawa – 1h 45 min
• Toronto – 3 h 45 min