About this listing
Two story home on property originally occupied by the present owners’ great-great-great-great-great grandfather in the 1780s. When his great granddaughter Charlotte Hunt married George Marshall, they were given 600 acres. They built their home here in 1853 and called it Lansdowne. The Marshalls planned a wooded country estate similar to those surrounding the great homes of England but after the loss of their Louisiana cotton plantations following the Civil War, Lansdowne was operated as a working plantation with cotton and corn, sheep and cattle until the 1960s. The present owners are the fifth generation of Marshalls to live at Lansdowne. Their children and grandchildren, the sixth and seventh generations, visit for long weekends and holidays as often as possible. The property is now 120 acres of fields, pastures, ponds, and woodlands heavily wooded with pine trees, oaks and magnolias and home to hummingbirds and cuckoos, wood ducks, herons and egrets, red tailed hawks, Mississippi kites, pileated woodpeckers, great horned owls, rabbits, foxes, deer and wild turkeys. Whether sipping a mint julep on the gallery, fishing or enjoying a quiet reflection by the pond, or walking through the fields in search of berries, you will find beauty and tranquility at Lansdowne, just 10 minutes from downtown Natchez.
Two story home with two spacious bedrooms, living and dining rooms, kitchen and laundry in a renovated 1850s brick dependency which in the nineteenth century was home to the cook, children’s nurse and the butler plus the outdoor kitchen and washing and ironing room. Furnished with four poster double bed, charming iron queen bed and a single Murphy bed. Two connecting bedrooms on the second floor share a spacious bathroom with marble tiled walk-in shower. Each bedroom also has a private entrance from the upper gallery. WiFi, TV with Roku for Netflix, Amazon and more. Two covered galleries, large patio and beautiful grounds with roses, lilies, azaleas, magnolias and more. Children welcome. No smoking or pets. Your stay includes a tour of the main house, built in 1853 and decorated with original furnishings and family mementos.