About the property
- House1506 sq. ft.
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay1 - 7 nights
4 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms, Sleeps 8-10, Garden And Pool, 20 Mins From Airport
*** 15 minutes drive from Bergerac Airport, which has regular UK flights by Ryanair and Flybe, and just over an hour from well-connected Bordeaux Airport ****
Dating back to 1455, this beautiful oak-beamed house, fed entirely by fresh spring water, is located in the idyllic village of Laveyssiere in the wine-rich Perigord Pourpre region of the Dordogne. The setting feels a million miles from the hustle and bustle of city life yet the village restaurant/boulangerie is only 25 metres away and historic Bergerac is only a 10 minute drive away.
The house has 4 spacious bedrooms (three with king size doubles, one with twin beds) and two newly fitted bathrooms. There is an additional double sofa bed on the first floor landing.
As well as the normal facilities we have the following:
UK satellite TV
Wall-mounted flat screen 42 inch TV
Multi-region DVD player
Gaggia coffee maker
Full size outdoor table tennis table
Pub size Foosball (table football) table
10 foot diameter trampoline with enclosure/protective net
The above ground 8m x 4m pool (filled with spring water!) has steps that can be covered to prevent access by small children.
The patio is equipped with a large dining table and 8 chairs plus an extremely adjustable canopy which can be moved to provide shade throughout the day. Perfect for al fresco dining from morning until night (weather dependent!)
The permanent brick barbecue provides excellent shelter from the wind to make barbecuing easy.
The house has full central heating as well as a log burning fire and so is ideal for year-round rental.
The front and rear gardens are screened by a laurel hedge and wall and are enclosed by a double metal gate for added security if you have small children.
The front garden looks out onto the village centre with its church and town hall.
Two mountain bikes are available (one man's, one woman's) and there are lots of options for cycling from easy to challenging.
We have lots of toys available for young children (eg toy kitchen, scooters, cars, puzzles etc).
Enjoy your stay!
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- english, french, spanish
- Calendar last updated:
- May 24, 2018
About Matthew Cooper
We are a family of 4, originally from the UK but more recently living in Singapore. Our 2 young children (currently aged 7 and 9) have boundless energy so we like to have lots of activities for them to do!
Matthew Cooper purchased this House in 2012
Why Matthew Cooper chose Saint-Jean-d'Eyraud
We fell in love with the village, with its pretty stream and church, before we even saw the house. But we love the house's history and oak beams, the enclosed gardens with a gate (great for keeping the kids in), and the swimming pool. The setting is an idyllic rural one but the house is very easy to reach (15 minutes drive from Bergerac Airport) and is close to many activities and amenities. Nearby attractions include: - cycle routes (on doorstep) - forest walks (on doorstep) - hypermarkets (10 mins drive) - Bergerac town (10 mins drive) - Bordeaux (60 mins drive) - swimming lake with cafe/bar and kids activities (15 mins drive) - treetop adventure, like Go Ape with zip wires etc (3 mins drive) - wineries (many within a few minutes drive) - canoeing (many options from 10 mins drive) - go karting (10 mins drive) - maze of maize (20 mins drive) - medieval castle with kids activities (20 mins drive) - local markets (many within a short drive) - local night markets (many within a short drive)
What makes this House unique
- The house originally dates back to the mid-15th century. - All the house's water supplies (for drinking, bath etc) come from a freshwater spring which reputedly has medicinal properties. - The house is right on the edge of the forest and yet there is a bar/restaurant (where you can buy also bread and pastries) just 25m away. - The village has a 13th century church and a shrine to the Child Virgin (one of just a handful in the world), to which there is a pilgrimage on 8 September each year. - The small and friendly village is perfect for children as there are big lawns to run around on by the town hall (as well as our own large enclosed garden). - There are plenty of walks to do nearby, either through the forest or along small roads/tracks to other villages. - There is a swimming lake with a restaurant and childen's play area (including a free zipwire) just 15 min drive away. - There are numerous vineyards to visit (nearby Chateau Sainte Foy des Vignes has some good very reasonably priced wines). The famous Pecharmant area is 15 mins drive away. - There are daily local produce markets in Bergerac and surrounding villages. - The village is very quiet but is just 2km from the D709 which is a major highway which links Bergerac and the motorway heading to Bordeaux in one direction and Perigueux in the other. - Bergerac, with its facilities and charming medieval centre, is only about 10 mins drive away. - Bergerac airport, serviced by Ryanair and Flybe, is 15 mins drive away. - Bordeaux airport, serviced by many major airlines, is just over an hour's drive away.
Pool / Spa
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 10:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
beautiful typical Dordogne house
Delightful family home with lovely garden and beautifully maintained with plenty of facilities and games on site . Good local village restaurant and pretty village . A little remote but would recommend lake swimming , medieval games chateau and Bergerac .Pool a little small for teenagers !
Lovely place for a relaxing holiday
We spent a week at this charming house in its beautiful village. The children enjoyed lots of activities at the house – swimming, table tennis, trampolining, boules, table football – which meant we could relax on the terrace with a glass of local rosé! The village restaurant does good pizzas which everyone enjoyed. There is loads to explore in the nearby area and the owners gave us lots of useful advice on what to do. My favourite was the nearby swimming lake – the café/bar there does great quality food at very reasonable prices. The children loved the treetop adventure (zipwires etc) just a few minutes drive away from the house. Nearby Bergerac is beautiful and there are some good restaurants; further afield there are lots of medieval towns to visit and nearly all have fresh produce markets. The local night markets (nocturnes) are great for eating and drinking al fresco. I would thoroughly recommend staying here.
Lovely, relaxing, quiet family home.
The house is set in a very quiet, rural french countryside which is exactly what we were looking for. Spacious, clean and with all the amenities our family needed. The children were kept entertained with toys, both inside and outside so we were happy staying within the home to soak up the french way of life. We took walks, runs and bike rides around the area and also hired a car to be able to venture out and explore the other villages.
The local restaurant have great food and also gave us fresh milk and bread in the early morning which was a treat.
There were 5 adults and 5 children staying here and all were very comfortable with their rooms and beds with no complaints over the amount of space we had to accommodate all the age groups when it came to bedtime. A good sized kitchen and we would always prefer to spend meal times outdoors, no needing to use the master dining table, and colder mornings could be spent in the conservatory.
This was a home to make you feel at home.
A wonderful holiday home in a small hamlet near Be
A beautiful holiday home near Bergerac. Large lounge diner with TV, Wifi and loads of games for the children. The property is ideally located for exploring the region with Perigueux, Monbazillac and the many beautiful villages of the Dore valley. Thoroughly recommended
Beautiful countryside home!
We recently stayed in this beautiful countryside home. There was plenty of room for out family of 2 adults and 5 children, and better still there was plenty of entertainment for the children in the form of toys, books, table tennis, table football, movies etc. The home was very clean and well maintained and the welcome pack with some wine and other items was very much appreciated. The area is lovely and quiet yet if looking for something to do it is there for the doing! We visited the laser tag center in Bergerac and did some horse riding at a near by farm but if this is not to your taste then there are ample other activities nearby. The owners have been great to deal with and their caretakers in the neighboring property came to check that all was ok on arrival and that we were well supplied with firewood during our stay. I have no reservation about recommending this home to anyone who may be searching for that ideal home for a holiday!.
A lovely home away from home
We stayed at les Cypres with a group of friends, and between us we had 3 toddlers. We were very impressed by the baby equipment available as much as the children were by the toys available to them. It helped our stay be even more relaxing to know they were never bored of things to do. They were also very safe in the enclosed garden and the off-ground swimming pool. The house is lovely and clean and well-presented, and the welcome pack on arrival was a great surprise. I would certainly recommend this house to anyone looking in this region. Bergerac, perhaps a little under-rated compared to the very touristic Sarlat, was also a lovely city to be close to. Ideal for a tranquil holiday. The owner, Matt, and Fabrice and Pascal who managed the house were all very-welcoming and provided us with lots of useful information too. Thank you to all for a lovely holiday.
Laveyssiere is a small but charming village surrounded by beautiful countryside, including numerous vineyards, and is only 10 minutes drive from the historic, riverside town of Bergerac. This beautiful town with its medieval centre offers many facilities including restaurants, shops, hypermarkets, leisure facilities and medical services.
Local highlights include:
- The village's only bar/restaurant 20m from your front door (you can buy bread and pastries here too)
- Weekly local produce markets in Bergerac and surrounding villages
- Visiting the medieval town of Bergerac with its many restaurants from budget to fine dining.
- River trip along the Dordogne, starting in Bergerac.
- Numerous vineyards to visit (nearby Chateau Sainte Foy des Vignes has some good very reasonably priced wines)
- Chateau de Bridoire (chateau in beautiful setting with approximately 50 medieval games for children and adults to play). Has a cafe. A short drive from Laveyssiere.
- Petting farm with all the animals you'd want just a few minutes drive from Laveyssiere.
- Forest parcours (tree top adventure with rope bridges, zip wires, climbing etc - supposed to be similar to 'Go Ape' in UK) due to open in spring 2013. Suitable for ages 10 years up. On the outskirts of Laveyssiere so very close.
- Lots of options for trips from short to whole day, eg Bergerac (10-15 mins), Villamblard (15 mins), Perigueux (35 mins), Brantome (50 mins), Sarlat (80 mins).
- Large swimming lake with water slide etc, 40 mins drive away.
- Large supermarkets within 10 mins drive.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
• The house has full central heating plus a wood-burning fire and so is suitable for year-round rental