- Villa1668 sq. ft.
- Half Baths0
- Min Stay3 nights
- english, french, spanish
- Calendar last updated:
- Oct 9, 2018
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 7 days before arrival date.
Breathtaking View, Stingy owner
The view is absolutely amazing from almost every room in this house. However the owner is un-amazing.
When we booked, wi-fi was listed on his websites but when we got here, guess what? It had been out of commission for over a month but the owner had neglected to inform me. (It's also no longer mentioned on his websites.) He also didn't mention that he provided none of the things usually found in vacation rentals: adequate bedsheets, hand soap and other soap of all kinds, enough matches to light the stove for a few days, cleaning supplies, wastebaskets and so on. Also, no instructions of any kind; like how to dispose of garbage?
There wasn't even toilet paper. So, after driving 25 minutes or so on a scary and dangerous road from Tarifa, we discovered we didn't even have the bare essentials. This might not have been such a shock if the owner had bothered to send a list of all the things we needed to bring but he provide zero information on this subject. Since we'd already rented 11 apartments and houses in Spain and Portugal, we wrongly assumed that basic necessities would be provided.
The house itself is architecturally interesting and there are a lot of wonderful touches that reflect the fact that the owner built it for his own family. But now they have moved on and they don't seem to care about anything except collecting rent. There is a great deal of maintenance needed, many things are broken or missing, and the couch covers are so disgusting that I wouldn't even touch them let alone sit on them. There are maybe 25 empty cans of cleaning supplies that no one has bothered to throw away. Also, a trash pile outside and two trailers (caravans), one quite dilapidated, now used as storage spaces or filled with junk. The place is not filthy but it is indeed extremely funky.
If this guy spent about 500 Euros on this place it would be a real gem, 1000 Euros and it would be one of the best houses on the planet. But since he's too cheap to even provide dish soap I doubt this will happen any time soon. Maybe he should spend a week here and toss out all the junk, including the chipped Bug's Bunny cup, the broken tea kettle, the broken lounge chair, and so on.
He also owns another house just down the road. Fortunately, he's got a terrific on-site manager who looks after things at both houses as best he can given the stinginess of the owner.
But here's the bottom line: In the end, the spectacular view made up for all the inconveniences.
I am sorry if these clients think I am stingy. However, I charged them 55eu/night - many people would say that I am generous at that price! The things that the client asked for were brought within a matter of hours - if you want or need something just tell us and we´ll sort it out if we can. So I do not think it is fair to complain about somthing we provided.Internet is only availbale via 2 satellites now in this location. I changed to a new satellite but the installation was not done correctly and am awaiting for it to be reinstalled by another provider. This kind of thing is out of my hands I´m afraid. We are talking about a fairly remote location in Southern Andalucia. I would say that this lady´s husband did not like the wind and he had quite a lot of it - please understand that Tarifa is the wind sport capital of Europe. I hope that these clients enjoyed the rest of their vacation.
House with potential but poorly maintained
- situated in a scenic location with a beautiful view over the street of Gibraltar.
Points which need improvement
- The house needs maintenance on several point a.o. The electrical supply / the hot water installation ( several taps have on occasion hot water / kitchen equipment ( for example gas oven top burner is dangerous and worn) hot water cooker is making shortage ( flames came out). The ironmongomery of the external doors is worn ( doors can’t be locked or not open). The house is damp ( caused by the close vicinity of the sea).
Access road to the house ( there are 3 parts worth mentioning starting at the main road)
- 1 st part tarmac road from main road to gravel road ca 4 km long is not maintained since the military base is abandoned resulting in slided of sections of asphalt (from the hills) / deep pits etc but doable with a normal 2 x 4 car.
- 2nd part is a worn gravel road ca 1 km ( big aggregate sizes) with pretty steep slopes and deep tracks that is hardly doable with a normal 2 x 4 car.
- 3rd Last part is ca 150 m from the gate of the property to the house this road is a worn track on a steep hill not maintained and completely not doable without a 4 x 4.
Please carefully consider if the place suits your requirements before booking ( it’s worse than the pictures are suggesting)
We booked for six nights but left after 1 night
Preciosa casa con preciosas vistas a Marruecos, máxima tranquilidad, el único sonido es el del mar, no se puede pedir más, mar y montaña todo a la vez
Ruhige Lage und ein wahnsinnig schöner Ausblick
Unsere Erwartungen wurden übertroffen! Nach einer etwas holprigen Fahrt (es ist ein nicht allzu tiefes Auto zu empfehlen da der weg sehr steinig ist) kamen wir aus dem staunen nicht mehr raus. Das Haus befindet sich ca. 20min mit dem auto von tarifa entfernt und liegt sehr abgeschieden. Genau das hatten wir aber auch gesucht. Wer einen ruhigen Ort zum entspannen sucht ist hier also genau richtig. Es erwartet einen ein sehr schönes,großes Haus in einer super Lage. Die Straße von Gibraltar liegt einem quasi zu Füßen und von der Terrasse aus kann man den Blick auf das Meer und die Küste von Marokko genießen. Das Haus ist mit dem wichtigsten ausgestattet und uns hat nichts gefehlt. Die Abwicklung mit Andrew und Manolo (hauskeeper) hat auch hervorragend funktioniert. Ich würde jeden der etwas ruhiges sucht , das Haus jederzeit weiterempfehlen! Es war garantiert nicht unser letzte Urlaub in dem wunderschönen weißen traumhaus Nähe Tarifa :)
Danke vielmals. Komm bald wieder!!
All I can say is wow!!
My wife and I and our two young children recently spent a week at Casa Costa dos in Tarifa in mid-December to celebrate my 40th and honestly could not have asked for more, it was exactly what we were looking for!!
First of all the location, breathtakingly beautiful and so peaceful with the most amazing atmospheric views over the straights to the Moroccan coast line, fire up the barby, crack open a bottle and just suck it all in, hard to beat!!
If youre looking for your run of the mill, sanitised holiday resort type trip, this might not be for you, but if you’re looking for a great, spacious, accommodation, full of character with a great relaxing feeling that provides you all you need for a wonderfully sociable, home away from home near Tarifa, then this is it! We had a number of friends and family drop by whilst we were there and without fail they all loved it as much as we did!
Couple more comments you might find helpful:
• Andrew and his man on the ground Manolo were both great in getting this set up, friendly and very communicative, absolutely no problems. (Not in the slightest bit intrusive as per some other reviews!!)
• The house is about 10 – 15 mins down a wonderful rural track off the road to Tarifa, but pretty good going apart from the very last bit wish is a tad bumpy, but doesn’t present any problem. We were fine in run of the mill family hire car, but a bit of ground clearance wouldn’t go a miss.
• If your visiting in winter, you have nothing to worry about, the log fire kept us nice and warm.
• I had vague concerns about the power source when I realised it was wind and solar only, but again we didn’t have a single issue, and the house is well light with all the facilities needed, in fact I was incredibly impressed. (Hot water, same, runs of gas and works perfectly well)
I think that about covers it, just let me reiterate, that we really had the best of breaks at Casa Costa and are already planning the next visit – Andrew thanks for everything!
Thanks for the great write up and taking your time to do so Arend..We look forward to seeing you again.
fantastic house, but make sure it´s what you want
The only reason I give 4 stars instead of 5 is because dealing with Andrew the host was a bit difficult and you can probably sense that from some of the other reviews. I have to say that it is worth it though. The house is simple but has great character. It was also protected from the wind. The area is very remote and the road in is slow and difficult but this was not a problem for us because we stayed at the house for the entire weekend. There was one functioning hot shower but that was enough for us. The chimenea worked well for heating the house. If you are looking for something a bit different that is isolated then you will probably love this place. Just make sure you bring everything you may need (including drinking water - we boiled the well water when we ran out but it´s not ideal). If you want to watch TV, work via internet, go swimming on a sandy beach or even use as a base for daily outings then it is probably not for you. For us it was perfect.
Se requiere una fianza de 300 euros. Existe un cobro adicional si hay mas de 4 personas, a 10eu/persona/noche