We spent about a week at The Black Pearl home and had an excellent time. As others have stated, the home is well furnished and the kitchen has everything you would need. The private beach is very nice (me and the kids napped under the palm trees every day). The air conditioner did not work the first few days that we were there but Bruce had a technician come out to get it fixed. The swimming pool was a huge hit with the kids. We would start our day with a morning swim and then head out to the ocean. Huacho is very friendly and knowledgeable and told us a lot about the area. If you have time, be sure to check out the Cenote Azul and the Lake in Bacalar as this is some of the prettiest water you will ever see. The highways in this part of Mexico are incredibly safe and well-maintained so try to get out and explore. Overall, our experience was incredible but there are a few things I would like to point out for my fellow travelers.
• Be sure to follow the directions that Marilyn sends before you arrive (the Google maps link that is on VRBO does not show the correct location).
• Be sure to accurately list the number of persons staying in the home. We realized after we booked that we had failed to list our two children (6 and 4) but since it said the rates were for four people, we did not worry about it. We had to forfeit $50 of our deposit as a result.
• The home is in a gated community and there is a night watchman that patrols but I never actually saw the gate closed.
• The air conditioning only runs from 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm. We were there in July and all of the rooms were uncomfortably warm again by midnight (rooms have oscillating fans that helped a little).
• The beach road to the home is in very poor condition at the moment. We had to drive very slowly in the rental car. It was frustrating but not a big deal if you don’t plan to go in to town every day.