We are a family of 6 who got the best of both worlds: retreat excursion and cities. Yolanda was very helpful and reliable. The house was perfectly stocked and the amenities are great. Nice decor and great to have a real house to stay in! Here is why we loved it:
1) SURPRISE-- a water front, full & excellent restaurant/bar is on the other side of the marina--which is outside the home fence. 1 minute walk. Don't want to cook? Want to try amazing dishes? It's right there at Ottenhome (the community restaurant outdoor adventure club). Want to grab a drink with your hubby and walk home? EASY. Loved the kipje sate (hope that's spelled right), it's an Indonesian chicken sate. Also loved the ribs! Again, it was an added bonus.
2) The views from outside the house in the marina were gorgeous. Beautiful sunsets at the fenced marina are outside the house, literally. In the charming grassy backyard, you can sit on the relaxing patio chairs and benches to relax without water access risks for children.
3) Short (I think around 12 min) rides into Amsterdam by your own car (parking is free in lot by house) and Utrecht. Great cities but also very busy. We wanted to experience the real charm of the Netherlands. The homes around this community are darling and we felt like we got to enjoy more than what we would have just in Amsterdam. We also loved our trip to Gouda.
4) Adventure! We took the family on a canal boat ride. No license needed. You can get a row boat super cheap (like 10 Euros) but we opted for the motorized one that was around 95Euro for 3 hours, prices vary can be cheaper or more. The boats and kayaks are right outside the fence of the house for rent at the Ottenhome club. Easy, super fun and convenient.
5) Master downstairs. Upstairs has 2 single mattress bedrooms with doors that close, other 1 bedroom is a large open area in front of those doors after turning left from stairs with a full bed or 2 twins.
Things to consider:
1) There is a very steep staircase. Our kids did navigate it well, but it initially freaked me out. If a child is under 3, I would ask the owner the height of the handrail to ensure that your child could actually hold on to it while climbing up.
2) You do probably need a car to enjoy all of the wonderful cities around the area IF you are going for more than a few days. IF your hope is to have a short retreat, you could totally hang at the marina restaurant and do water activities and relax in the backyard. THANK YOU AGAIN!