My extended family of 14 spent a week at Casa Maravilla in July 2016. I have nothing but positive things to say.
I’ll start with the house. It is every bit as gorgeous as the photos, and even roomier than I expected. It is very light and airy and very conducive to gathering a large-ish group of people together. The outdoor dining area (covered) was wonderful and we ate there for breakfast and dinner every day. The house is kept in immaculate condition - spotless, all outlets working, furniture clean and new and comfortable, etc.
The staff was fantastic.
* Sabrina was super-friendly and responsive. She was always on call and responded to our every request with knowledge and humor. We felt very well taken care of.
* Ronald was everything the other reviews said - fun to be with and a fantastic chef. Every morning after breakfast was a great experience as we brainstormed what new and amazing thing he would make for dinner (and desert). The menu is 100% customizable and always delicious. And we averaged just $20/day/person, very cost-effective. We enjoyed this setup so much that I doubt we can go back to the old way for future family vacations - we will always hire a chef to shop, cook and clean (things I personally hate and which detract from my vacation enjoyment).
* Roger the groundskeeper was very friendly, and clearly maintaining the property is a labor of love. We felt like we were living in the middle of a beautiful botanical garden, complete with butterflies, hummingbirds, iguanas, and of course plenty of (shy) monkeys. The grounds are in perfect condition and Roger is always tinkering away on some new feature, like a stone pathway or new trellises or whatever.
* Also Xinia and others labored in the background to keep the house and pool and property spotless and beautiful and safe.
Also of note:
* The weather in July was surprisingly nice - definitely warm and humid, some rain every day, but also plenty of sun and ofd course the house is air-conditioned.
* Sabrina set us up with some fantastic tours - we especially loved the superman zip-line and the canyoneering ones (neither for the faint of heart), and the “off the beaten path”, good for the whole family. WE also enjoyed having a yoga instructor come to give us a lesson.
I’m happy to serve as a reference to anyone looking for a little more info - Sabrina can supply my telephone number.
Ted Shafer, La Jolla California