HomeAway is the world leader in vacation rentals. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We're committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
The rental is very nice but there are a couple things that aren’t up to American standards.
1. There is no air condition unit on the downstairs floor where the living room / kitchen / bathroom is located. There are two AC units (European style on the wall near the ceiling) one in each bedroom upstairs. If these are left at the lowest temperature possible and the bedroom doors left open then the downstairs is comfortable then. This doesn’t work at night unless you don’t mind the sun waking you up at 6 AM and sleeping in an igloo. We ended up really not using the downstairs at all for relaxing.
2. The TV only has French cable - not even one English chanel. We were prepared for this because of prior stays on the French side and we brought our laptop computer and cable to hook up to the TV to watch Netflix. But with the downstairs not comfortable, we just watched on the computer laying in bed.
3. Both bathrooms are located downstairs so if you are a middle of the night user this requires a trip down the stairs which again are not up to American standards, I have a size 8 foot and only about 2/3rds of my foot fit on the step they were so narrow. I ended up going up the stairs normally but coming down the stairs at an angle so my entire foot fit on the step. I believe this is necessary because pitch/angle of the steps is steeper than we would allow in America.
4. Little tiny black ants (our bug guy calls them no see em’s here in Georgia) appear in the kitchen and bathrooms daily. We had no food on the counters so could only assume they were attracted to the water supply. I cleaned them up all the time but they repeatedly came back. We even tried spraying the uncaulked crevices with a deet spray and it had no affect.
5. The beds are much harder than what we have at home. I came prepared for a firmer mattress with a 1/2 inch egg crate style cushion to help my back (2 back operations with rods and screws in my back) but after 2 weeks on these beds my back was really ready for my temperpedic at home.
All in all a pleasant stay and we’ll be back but I will come with a thicker mattress topper, a blanket for igloo sleeping and some ant spray. We are normally inside far less than outside when in St. Maarten so see the above as minor issues to be prepared for not deal breakers.