This month's festivities celebrate food and wine, culture and comedy, accomplishment and reward. Sample the bounty of the harvest, run a marathon, and ring in the the holiday season—it's all happening in November.
1. Boston's Pilgrim StrollSome of the best festivals in November allow you to combine travel and education for the kids. Boston's Pilgrim Stroll is a great example. This festival includes a walk through historic Plymouth while wearing pilgrim costumes.
2. Dominican Republic Jazz Festival
Not all November holidays need to celebrate Thanksgiving, the pilgrims, or even anything seasonal. Hop a plane down to the Dominican Republic and spend a weekend getting to know the island through jazz music. Beyond the jazz, you will also enjoy local food, drinks, beaches, and water sports.
3. Portland Wine Country ThanksgivingWhat could be better than a traditional meal of turkey with all the trimmings? How about the same traditional meal at a winery? That's exactly what you'll find during Portland Wine Country Thanksgiving, a festival where more than 100 wineries outside Portland, OR are open for turkey dinners and wine tastings.
4. Atlanta MarathonRight when everyone is loosening up their belt buckle, you could attend a healthy-focused event. The Atlanta Marathon (and half marathon) takes place every November, going straight down Peachtree Road through downtown Atlanta. An event like this could help you keep up your training regiment when the temperatures start to drop.
5. Hampton Beach Seafood FestivalSome of the best festivals in November are focused on food. Hampton Beach, New Hampshire has a delicious excuse to getaway during this month: the annual seafood festival. During this event visitors will taste the freshest seafood, see how local cooks prepare the fish, and even go home with new recipes to try.
6. Alaska Bald Eagle FestivalNovember is home to festivals for every type of traveler. If you're a nature enthusiast, one event not to miss is the Alaska Bald Eagle Festival outside Juneau. Bird watching enthusiasts can get together with local guides and take advantage of tours and events to encounter bald eagles in their natural environment.
7. Las Vegas Comedy FestivalWhile some travelers are heading to remote destinations, others will be drawn to Sin City. November is home to a comedy festival in Las Vegas, one that brings together some of the country's top comedians and performing artists for several nights of stand up that are sure to keep the laughter rolling.
8. New York's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
The incredible Thanksgiving Day Parade is an annual event famous for its marching bands, massive balloons, and performances from Broadway stars. In addition, the day after Thanksgiving, known as Black Friday, has some of the best shopping sales of the entire season.
*Image from Hans J E
9. Providence's National Scrabble ChampionshipLove Scrabble? Then the National Scrabble Championship in Providence, Rhode Island is definitely for you. This might not be one of the best festivals in November for kids, but this could be a great getaway for adults.
10. San Antonio New World Wine & Food Festival
Another great November option is the San Antonio New World Wine & Food Festival. Get to know wines from the New World.