Expedia Group has a mission to become the world’s travel platform. As part of that effort, we are building the most widely accepted Lodging Platform for the hotel and vacation rental industries. We want travelers visiting our sites to be able to find the type of lodging that best fits their travel needs whether a house, bungalow, castle, condo or hotel room. We build extraordinary products at fast-paced speed, but we are always looking for ways to be better and faster. GraphQL has shown to be a technology accelerator for our business. We are now looking to iterate upon existing GraphQL schemas and architectural patterns in our next-generation of Node.js-based GraphQL APIs to unlock additional speed for our many UX and public API teams.
In addition to the people management responsibilities of the Lodging GraphQL team, this person will drive the development of our v2 GraphQL APIs spanning Expedia Group’s full Lodging Platform. This role will collaborate with HomeAway’s strategic technical leaders and executing teams to ensure effective and operationally sound goals, clearly identifying what needs to be delivered to achieve those goals and ensuring that clear business and technology roadmaps are in place to move our new GraphQL APIs forward in parallel with the day to day needs of the business.
What you’ll do:
- You will lead the team for our Lodging Supply GraphQL team
- You will be building, leading, and mentoring a new team of highly energetic and adept engineers.
- Build reliable, highly available, and highly scalable systems in a Lean, agile, and test driven environment.
- You are going to partner closely with other tech leads and product managers to design and implement cutting-edge solutions.
- You will help to accelerate API development by encouraging and facilitating inner-sourcing of GraphQL schemas.
- You are the ambassador for GraphQL and Node.js to educate and motivate Engineering on opportunities
- Help teams break through challenges by managing upwards to be sure innovation and speed to market are not impeded
- You will implement critical metrics of API coverage, API adoption, and developer (customer) NPS.
Who you are:
- You bring 8+ years of experience mentoring and developing teams for managers and individual contributors.
- You are experienced in leading software development teams at a Director level capacity.
- You have experience working multi-functionally to deliver business results.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and influence.
- You possess an intellectual curiosity to seek out parallels across industries and instill implications within Expedia Group technology solutions.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field
- 8+ years in software development - preferably in API development
- Deep understanding of Web and API architecture
- Conversant in common Internet technologies and protocols (HTTP, SSL, OAuth, REST, JSON, XML, etc)
- Validated track-record of building fast, reliable, large, multi-threaded, scalable, service-oriented web services
- Experience in profiling high traffic web applications and services.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.