HomeAway's Partner API Engineering team is hiring for talented Senior Java Software Engineers in Chicago. As a Software Engineer in Partner API Engineering, you are at the heart of connecting thousands of Property Managers and over a million properties to HomeAway and Expedia.
In this role, you will be partnering closely with Expedia to create a global lodging directory service that supports various property types – homes, condos, villas, etc. – for all Expedia worldwide brands. You will solve complex engineering problems on a global scale, building a distributed service in the cloud with resiliency and a comprehensible APIs.
We tackle problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving hard problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas.
What you’ll do:
- Contribute to vigilantly rewriting, refactoring, and perfecting code.
- Dedicated to delivering tested and optimized high performance code for a distributed environment (our stack satisfies 60K+ requests per second).
- Develop quality scalable, tested and reliable applications using industry standard methodologies.
- Work with QA, product management and operations in an agile environment.
- Build and maintain quality software using best-in-class tools: Git, Splunk, New Relic, Sonar, Jenkins, and others.
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions.
- Showcase your work on our tech blog, tech talks, and internal & external conferences.
- Technologies we use:
- Java, Node.js, React, Redux, React Native, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Mongo DB, Spark, S3, AWS, Docker, Dropwizard, Kafka, Scala, New Relic, Data Dog, Looker.
Who you are:
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of professional software development experience (Java preferred).
- Mentor junior engineers.
- Good foundation of Agile principles and practices.
- Technical leadership experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work well multi-functionally across multiple department.
- An analytical problem solver that is passionate about delivering a high quality user experience.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.