An exciting opportunity has arisen at HomeAway for a Back End Developer within our UK team. This is an exciting role, which would suit an experienced software developer to make their mark in an innovative and growing tech company.
To help millions of travellers looking for great places to stay in for their vacations, HomeAway, along with all the sites in its portfolio, needs to be at the forefront of their travel planning.
We are developing technological solutions to automate the process of sending the right marketing message to the right customer at the right time in the right advertising platform. We generate product feeds by leveraging data streamed from many sources, crunching content from large amounts of data in the cloud from multiple data sources and distributing this to advertising platforms (Google, Facebook and Criteo) millions of times a day. Using machine learning on customer behaviour, current trends, geo and event information, we automate the process of smart bidding on various platforms to drive customer visits to HomeAway and help them find their dream vacation.
Join us in our journey of enticing the travellers and making it a win-all for them, the property owners, HomeAway and you.
What you’ll do:
As a Back End Developer, you will help us build highly performant and scalable real-time systems to make effective decisions on the fly, taking advantage of large distributed datasets and machine learning.
Working primarily on a backend stack with a Java/Scala based streaming system, leveraging various web services and mentored by an experienced team of disciplined developers, you will be a crucial part of a fast paced environment helping us target relevant audience in a highly competitive market. Being at the forefront of engineering sophisticated solutions with a focus on marketing, in conjunction with players like Google and Facebook, you will get the chance to directly impact our conversion rates, with every change you make.
The ideal candidate will:
- Develop scalable, tested and reliable applications for a really fast paced distributed SOA environment
- Be comfortable in the agile software lifecycle from concept to production and beyond
- Appreciate and enhance a dynamic and close-knit software development team committed to mutual learning through peer code reviews and innovation
- Find creative and simple solutions to challenging problems, with a focus on getting things done and a test & learn culture
- Be encouraged to participate in HomeAway’s inventive culture including contributing to open source, HackAway and Table Talks
Who are you:
- Bachelor's Degree or higher, preferably in Computer Science or Engineering
- Experience with continuous delivery and integration tools like sbt, Git, and Jenkins
- Knowledge of TDD and BDD frameworks
- Experience with large scale streaming systems like Kafka
- Experience with different data storage mechanisms like Cassandra
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies, such as Scrum and Kanban
- Experience collaborating on a cross-functional team
- Strong problem solving capability
- Familiarity with REST and service-oriented architecture
- Experience in E-commerce or Travel Industries is a plus
- Familiarity with multiple programming languages and an ability/willingness to learn
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.