HomeAway, a member of the Expedia family of brands, based in Austin, Texas, is the world’s leading online marketplace of vacation rentals, with sites representing more than 1.4M paid vacation rental home listings throughout 168 countries. HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online.
HomeAway is seeking a Data Analyst to be part of our commercial finance team at its EMEA headquarters in London. This team is a part of the worldwide Financial Planning & Analysis organization. This role reports to the European Finance Director based in London. Commercial finance’s charge is to provide for a common language and data driven hypotheses, which can be validated through a test and learn approach to enable exceptional analytical insights, influencing faster and better business decisions.
The commercial finance team has a global role supporting our retail business organization, local markets, and global cost areas. The commercial organization is charged with maximizing revenues through diligent investments which have most optimal return to the business. The commercial finance team leads and manages the global weekly trading meeting and topline pacing analysis, monthly business review of contribution margins, quarterly forecasting, and annual planning. The team is also responsible for in-quarter management of EBITDA risks/opportunities, creation of commercial financial targets, and analysis to support financial trade off’s across regions and lines of business for optimal return. This group supports European sales, pricing, and forecasting of supply and demand.
The Data Analyst will be accountable for understanding, reporting on, trending and forecasting the demand side of our business. This entails deep analysis of traffic and conversion metrics across multiple customer segments and channels to accurately predict transactional demand or bookings. The role requires the ability to efficiently mine, analyze and manage very large volumes of data. Understand and uncover the regional or customer trends, mix impacts, and produce a demand forecast each week.
The Role & Expectations:
- This role is very fast paced and requires an incredible amount of agility, speed without sacrificing accuracy, and ability to work effectively under pressure.
- The candidate will work very globally and cross functionally with the regional finance teams, product teams, marketing channels, and business intelligence. Effective communications skills, both verbal and written, are crucial.
- Develop a deep understanding of our commercial metrics, and how the business really works to impact those metrics. Use this understanding to identify, analyze and communicate current trends and, most importantly, their impact on forward looking financial forecasts. This will be accomplished through deep knowledge of our products, supplier value proposition, and traveler behavior.
- Mine and work very comfortably and effectively with large volumes of data in SQL, Python, R and Excel.
- Provide accurate demand data and forecasts to global retail and regional teams for use in weekly forecasting and trading processes.
- Understand geographical, customer segment and marketing channel mix implications and illustrate financial sensitivities of each to the retail team.
- Demonstrated success in a fast paced environment with the ability to accept changing priorities and focus, while remaining balanced and producing quality output.
- Intermediate level SQL and basic visual basic coding skills are a must
- Proven experience utilizing advanced Excel skills to solve business problems and understand statistical significance in a repeatable and sustainable form, including such tools as regression, VLookUp, SumIf, SumProduct, IndexMatch, and Goal Seek
- Demonstrated ability to communicate diligently, in both verbal and written forms, with executive management and peer groups.
- Highly analytical critical thinking skills with an aptitude for learning quickly and the ability to distill complex, detailed data into an executive level story applying appropriate judgement based upon the audience.
- Sustained experience with financial ERPs or other OLAP based financial planning software such as Hyperion, Prophix, Adaptive, or Cognos.
- Bachelor’s in Math, IS, Finance, or Economics with relevant of related progressive experience.
What we offer:
· Central London location in Victoria, walking distance from the tube station with what are probably the best views of London
· 25 days annual leave + Bank Holidays
· Relaxed Dress Down; every day is Dress Down Friday
· Excellent on the job training and on-going core skills development
· Life assurance
· Child care vouchers
· Private Health Care
· Access to pension scheme
· Salary Protection scheme
· Annual appraisal and salary review
· Employee Stock Purchase Plan (all employees have access to this)
In addition to an attractive compensation plan we offer regular social gatherings, chill-out and lunch areas and a range of other benefits including free drinks, snacks/fruit and breakfast.
You will work in a modern office environment as an integral part of a motivated and dynamic team, supported by a Company with a desire to deliver exceptional service to our customers and outstanding business performance.