Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at HomeAway.com, an Expedia Inc. company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
Our App Teams:
With a mobile team co-located in Austin, Texas, we’re looking for an empathetic, self-aware, hard-working, experienced and continually learning senior Android software engineer.
HomeAway mobile offers a suite of traveler and partner apps. Whereas the traveler app specializes in helping travelers plan, book, and enjoy their dream vacation, the partner app provides the complement, enabling partners to seamlessly manage their vacation-rental business. Property editing, booking acceptance, traveler engagement across the lifecycle of the stay -- all these and more are features offered to partners. In your new role, you will play a vital role in furthering our partner-facing Android application.
Scope of this role:
As the senior engineer of the Android owner app team you’ll be the driving force behind ensuring our Android owner app is a world-class offering on Google Play. You will ensure that the app performs well, that each code change by all team members leaves the codebase maintainable, that the visual design is meticulously up to spec, that the app size is efficient, and that the platform specific offerings of Android are utilized for a truly native experience. You will be our Android technical expert.
In addition to your technical contributions, you will help define and prioritize new features. You will work to gain a solid understanding of our partners’ needs, and offer constructive critiques of planned features that might not necessarily meet those needs. You’ll help the team work to complete each release in a timely manner, balancing wisely competing concerns to deliver a great product. In this capacity you will exhibit a respectful and empathetic tone to everyone, including less experienced engineers on the team, with a genuine concern for helping them grow as Android engineers. You’ll be willing to learn from everyone, communicate well and strive to be an effective team member.
You will be taking the reins of an app with a feature set that includes:
• An email inbox style messaging feature to enable prompt communication with travelers and facilitate seamless and accurate booking
• A reservation management system that allows owners to view and manage the availability of their properties, as well as their guest’s bookings
• A property management feature that allows suppliers to list and manage their property -- from content to pricing -- and view analytics for their vacation-rental business relative to the market standard
• An activity feed that ensures owners are always up to date with the most relevant, contextual information for their specific properties and their specific travelers.
You will love this role if you’re looking for an environment:
• That challenges you to think deeply about software architectural choices
• That encourages you to invest time into your craft and self-improvement, including time for reading books and attending conferences
• Where the best tool for the job is the right tool for the job, and you’ll have the opportunity to influence these decisions
• Where design isn’t an afterthought
• Where smart risk-taking is encouraged
• Where you’ll have the support to make mistakes
• Where processes exist only to help the team progress
• Where you have a tangible opportunity to impact people's lives in a positive way
• Where diversity is valued, where empathy is offered, and where an individual’s needs are treated with utmost respect
List of technologies we like:
Espresso, RxJava, AutoValue, Retrofit, Dagger, Kotlin, Firebase, Sqlbrite, OkHttp, iOS, NodeJS, GraphQL and/or React Native a plus
• Competitive health and insurance benefits
• Competitive salary
• Annual target bonus or commission
• Paid vacation and sick time
• Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
• Employee Stock Purchase Program
• Free snacks and beverages
• Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
• Free listing on HomeAway.com
Location: The Domain in Austin, TX
Technical Recruiter: Keith Punches