About the HomeAway team:
Have you love the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at HomeAway.com, an Expedia Inc. company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world, with more than two million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
The Strategy & eCommerce Ops Director, APAC, is a critical role in implementing the business objectives of HomeAway in the APAC region. You will analyse and draw insights from the global and local competitive environments around Asia and ANZ. You will also work with a team of analysts responsible for developing, analyzing and drawing insights from the core operating metrics for HomeAway’s eCommerce business in the APAC region. Combining those insights and understanding of our global strategy, the local operating environment, competitive situation, internal performance and customer opportunities, you will form a holistic view and be responsible for guiding and influencing the required operational strategy to win in the APAC market. This will include working closely with all local and global functions of our business, delivering initiatives end to end, from kick-off to delivering tangible business impacts.
You will actively work with the financial planning and business analytics teams as well as cross-functional team members (Marketing, Product, Product Marketing, Partner Success, etc.) to monitor, analyze and augment the business strategy, contribute to budgets and forecasts, collaborate on action plans, coordinate execution, and track overall progress. Your work will have influence over almost every major function of the business and develop a very deep understanding of the main functions and key performance drivers of our marketplace. You will have regular and frequent interaction with senior leadership across the organization, and will need to maintain strong alignment and partnerships with key departments to ensure that the overall APAC business is well planned, understood, communicated and effectively executed.
The role will be based Singapore, reporting directly to the APAC VP, as part of the SVP/Chief Commercial Officer’s Retail team.
- Lead a small team of operational (business, marketing, product specialist) analysts to drive reporting, analysis, strategy and program management of performance for key origin and destination markets, working very closely with the global Analytics and Data Insights (ADI) team. Work with all functional teams to organize pitches which analyse and propose business improvement ideas, including product feature iterations, end-to-end customer experience improvements, business process improvements and new business opportunities.
- Play a key role developing budgets and monitoring progress to drive adoption and usage of key existing and new features to expand our e-commerce platform, working with Product/Engineering/Customer Service/Partner Success/Marketing teams to promote e-commerce features and usage to all customer segments.
- Provide business analysis for key initiatives designed to achieve short-term financial goals and long-term business strategies. Develop detailed financial, planning and performance evaluation models for ongoing business and strategic options.
- Develop data-driven insights that achieve higher levels of traffic, booking conversion, new listing adoption, listing renewal, supplier adoption of key listing enhancements and monetization.
- Perform systematic industry research and analysis to highlight category trends and key competitive issues and opportunities. Develop comprehensive nuanced strategies regarding the opportunities and execution required in each part of APAC, both domestically and cross-border, and relative to the global strategies.
- Perform “Chief of Staff” function for APAC region, driving business projects, strategy presentations, and other ad hoc initiatives as required, including leading weekly, monthly and quarterly operational review meetings.
- Lead the Business Development function within APAC, evaluating and creating 3rd Party business collaborations and partnerships, in conjunction with the Partner Success and Marketing teams.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required; Business Post-Grad or MBA strongly preferred
- 10+ years of experience, focused on strategy and management consulting within e-commerce marketplaces, with embedded experience in online Product management, Marketing, Product Marketing, Finance or Business Intelligence functions highly regarded
- Strong attention to detail, and excellent planning and organization skills. Proven excellence in programme and project management
- Demonstrated track record of creative and structured approach to problem solving, as well as ideation and implementation of proven business opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to lead a small team of analysts and programme managers, developing their impact within the business, and also guiding and developing their careers and personal development.
- Ability to build effective relationships at the most senior level across a matrix of functional teams
- Demonstrated advanced ability to extract raw data from databases and operating environments, and transform that data into insightful reporting formats using tools and resources like SQL, MySQL, Tableau, Google Analytics, and of course Excel, Powerpoint and the Google suite of business software. Demonstrated ability to teach and transfer these skills to direct reports and others.
- Experience in both start-up and larger corporate environments, and understanding the different skills and approaches required in each will be well regarded
Key Behaviours for Success in the Role:
- Ability to work both at the “30,000-foot” level for the overall business, as well as at the “ground” level to gather insights and drive execution
- Passion and tenacity for solving problems and identifying executable opportunities through creativity and resourcefulness
- A growth mindset, with a demonstrated ability to learn and execute quickly. A passion for tech businesses, and their application in a fast-moving consumer environment. A desire to work collaboratively within a scientific “test and learn” culture.
- Strong internal partner influencing skills
- Logic and common sense in performing quantitative analyses and sharp sensitivity to implications and impact. Solid risk assessment skills.
- Direct and clear approach to communication, with a knack for concisely constructing a compelling and persuasive story based on data and proven insights.
- Comfortable dealing with uncertainty by creating structure and prioritizing effectively. Keen ability to juggle many balls at the same time, effectively delivering on deadlines.
- Ability to inspire and motivate your own team members, and those who don’t have direct reporting lines to you.
- Desire to proactively contribute to the senior leadership team in the APAC region and globally, helping to foster a fun, high performance culture
- All operations of the business are conducted in English as the primary language, so whilst not a prerequisite for the role, other Asian language skills would be highly regarded
- Ability to travel within APAC frequently, and further abroad (US, Europe) on a regular basis
Some of the perks you will enjoy:
- Relaxed dress code so you can be yourself
- Employee insurance and benefits
- Spectacular modern offices with views over Robertson Quay, Singapore Flyer and CBD
- Fully stocked kitchen with free drinks, fruit, free food and good coffee
- An active social committee who organizes quarterly team social events
- Great people and an awesome, unique culture where we celebrate our successes and take pride in our authenticity!
To find out more, check out: