HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands.
HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online. As for engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas.
What You’ll Do:
The right person for the job will be joining the growing Cloud Services team within HomeAway’s Cloud Platform Engineering Team. As a member of this team, you will continue to drive HomeAway's culture of engineering empowerment. The Cloud Services team enables developer productivity and velocity through an automated Multi-PaaS cloud infrastructure. This platform is rooted in the principle of infrastructure as code and is constantly evolving and integrating new and interesting technologies. You’ll be expected to continually learn and utilize the latest open-source tools available to enable a seamless experience between our bare metal, public and private cloud environments.
What You’ll Get:
As a leader, you will be driving HomeAway's engineering culture, by building, evangelizing and supporting the environments used by all of HomeAway's engineers globally. You’ll have the chance to drive the development experience on the bleeding edge of cloud technologies. Our ever-growing footprint will give you the opportunity to work at scale while being creative in an agile team. You’ll be joining a credible team where people go out of their way to help each other succeed. You’ll also get to work with stakeholders across the globe gaining international experience in a fast-paced eCommerce industry all while working in an incredible office space!
- Responsible for the design and implementation of the routing and service mesh that forms the core of our multi-PaaS micro-services platform.
- Working with our internal business partners to gather requirements.
- Developing unit tests, functional tests, and integration test frameworks for distributed systems.
- Performing peer reviews, code walkthroughs, and weekly demos.
- CI/CD pipeline management for infrastructure components.
- Must have excellent communication skills to assist in conducting user interview sessions, requirements gathering, and design reviews.
- Programming skills– You are comfortable writing code in multiple languages, confident in choosing the right strongly or dynamically typed language for the job. Preferred language familiarity: C++, Java, NodeJS, Ruby, Scala, and/or Go.
- Database skills – You understand the use cases for relational and non-relational data, you’ve implemented code against several different database platforms.
- Development experience - Java Web Applications, Service Oriented Architecture and Micro-Services.
- Knowledge of micro-services networking, load balancing, and service discovery concepts and technologies.
- Experience with tools like Consul, Cassandra, Data Dog, Kafka, Spark, Splunk, Vault preferred.
- Some experience with HA Proxy, Nginx, Linkerd.
- Experience working in an agile team environment.
- Conduct code walk-throughs, peer reviews, and produce technical documentation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent years of hands-on coding experience.
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electric, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress code.