Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at HomeAway.com, an Expedia Inc. company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
As for engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas.
Challenges you can work on:
- Scale our services to more than 60k requests per second.
- Develop fast, scalable, highly available, and reliable payment engines that will process billions of dollars per year.
- Use real-time data to understand customers’ needs before they do.
- Dockerize our apps and services for cloud deployment.
- Develop features that will drive our business through real-time feedback loops.
- Develop a smart service layer that will allow for in-session personalization based off user behavior and data.
- Scale our public API to allow other partners to leverage HomeAway services & experiences on third party sites.
- Simplify core booking and listing workflow to enhance our travelers & suppliers experience.
- AWS, Docker, Mesos, Dropwizard, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Kafka, Hadoop, Samza, NoSQL, Java8, Golang.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of professional software development experience.
- Technical leadership experience.
- Excellent communication skills with ability to work well cross-functionally across multiple departments.
- An analytical problem solver that is passionate about delivering a high quality user experience.
- Commit to writing, refactoring, perfecting code and teaching others to do the same.
- Dedicated to delivering tested and optimized high performance code for a distributed SOA environment (our stack satisfies 10s of thousands of requests per second!).
- Develop quality scalable, tested and reliable applications using industry best practices.
- Work with QA, product management and operations in an agile environment.
- Create and maintain quality software using best-in-class tools: Git, Splunk, New Relic, Datadog, Sonar and TeamCity.
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions.
- Opportunities to showcase your work on our tech blog and internal & external conferences.
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
“We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.”