The pictures do not do this place justice! As soon as we turned into the driveway we were impressed with the amazing landscaping & awe inspiring views of the beautiful village of Mosteiros. Bonita was an amazing host and gave us great recommendations. We were hesitant at first to stay outside of Ponta Delgada but could not have been happier with our decision. A car is a must in Sao Miguel & we didn't mind driving....half the fun is getting lost & finding a new place to explore! Hard to find any cons in this place. A propane grill would have been nice (we used the outdoor fireplace instead for grilling). Other guests have left brochures, maps, etc which was helpful!
Prior to our trip, I had done research regarding restaurants, etc in Mosteiros and found little information. I hope our tips can help others in the future:
- Pizzeria Fantasia was our favorite restaurant. A true "mom and pop" shop, reservations are a must & its hard to find (Rua Moinhos 54, look for cement looking sign with graffiti like writing that says "pizzeria italian cucina"). The pizzas, pastas, and dessert were amazing. Everything was reasonably priced & the local wine was delicious. Bonita was nice enough to make us reservations the first night!!
- Gazcidla is a local watering hole & we enjoyed drinks here (did not try the restaurant but other guests seem to enjoy it)
Other favorite restaurants outside of Mosteiros:
- Restaurante Da Associacao Agricola (hard to find but worth it): delicious, melt in your mouth steaks, you know its good when the farmers are eating lunch there!
- Bar Aliança in Ponta Delgada: amazing steak and fries, does not look appealing on the outside but the dining area inside is quite nice & service was excellent
- 4 Platanos in Ponta Delgada (San Antonio): modern restaurant, great views, good menu
And our favorite experiences/memories of the island:
- Cha Gorreana Tea Factory: oldest tea plantation, go to the shop to enjoy free tea & the waffles with honey were amazing (1.50 euros!)
- Exploring Monte Palace, an abandoned hotel situated right on top of the mountain overlooking Sete Citades, at Mirador do Rei (amazing view)
- Drive the windy roads of Lagoa do Fogo & go all the way to the top in the clouds......Caldeira Velha (waterfall) is on the way up & a nice place to stop!
- Nordeste & Povoação were nice towns to explore
Bring medicine for motion sickness (winding roads), get a gps (there are no signs) and bring cash!!