We had a perfect stay at Hale Kumu Kai.
If you've been searching for a home to make your vacation perfect, you are probably on overload from reading so many reviews. I boiled my review down to a few items, but please know that I could have kept writing about how much this rental added to our trip!
1. The owners were very pleasant and helpful, although they are not on-site they responded very quickly and have a local caretaker who will help with any issues (not that we had any).
2. The home is recently renovated, and the pictures posted above give you a general idea of its feel-- but the home exceeds expectations upon arrival.
3. Anything you need is supplied, including a cooler, water gear, ice buckets, citronella candles, bug spray, laundry detergent....it felt like being home, and it is clear that the owners gave much thought to what their guests would want or need.
4. The spaciousness of the home lends itself to a larger group, especially because each of the main three bedrooms has its own lanai and bathroom (with shower). The main lanai is great for a gathering, and the grill and jacuzzi add to the festive feel. But if you are a small family or couple you will also be very comfortable and enjoy the extra space.
5. Although not completely secluded, the neighborhood is quiet and peaceful, and the foliage makes it feel private even if there are neighbors. When we booked, this was one of my main concerns but it proved to be a moot point because it was so quiet and we saw only a few people during our stay.
6. South Kona is known for having twisty roads, so be aware that you need to be focussed while driving to the home, especially the first time. This is not a deterrent from renting this home, but
should be noted. Kona Paradise, the subdivision, was built on a piece of property with an incredibly steep incline--makes for wonderful ocean views, but somewhat "interesting" driving. Just take your time.
7. Drive times: into town is 40-45 minutes; nearest beach (Ho'okena) is 15 minutes (there is a black pebble beach at the end of the subdivision as well); food market (Choicemart) is 20-25 minutes; South Point is approx an hour.
8. We have already recommended this home to friends and colleagues, and plan on rebooking for future visits.
Families with Teenagers,
Families with Young Children,
Helpful votes: 3/3
Did you find this review helpful?