Better than a hotel costing twice as much
Just returned from our family visit to NYC to see the sights and stayed in this excellent appartment. If you're like me you had some concerns before booking; Was the rental genuine; was the appartment as described; what about staying in "Harlem" - isn't that bad; is the subway safe? So .. what did we find?
• Appartment and rental; Totally genuine, perfect appartment providing more comfortable accomodations for me and my family than a hotel at twice the price. Michael has done a good job to make sure every need is met.The place is comfortable and well equipped without being so fancy that you don't feel you can live in it and need to be careful all the time. Washer and dryer is excellent convenience. Free internet. My kids called it "home" after 1 day. One problem for some (not us) may be the 4 flights of steep stairs, no elevator. Think of the workout you get and the fact you are 30 feet above the noise of the city and downstairs appartments.
• Michael Cooper - a genuine, warm and caring guy who cares about a successful stay for his guests. He is thoughtful, flexible and attentive. He has this process well organized and is a genuine guy!
• The neigborhood - OK so this isn't perfect, but what is. There are some run down buildings which spoil the potential of neighborhood. You are probably not going to walk to any good local restaurants. But the area is safe, lots of cops, few undesirable elements. Subway is close. It was good to get out of the tourist areas each night. We felt safe and somewhat interested in the diverse characters we saw the whole time.
• The subway - is fantastic. The 'A train' express stop is steps (literally) from your appartment. 2 or 3 stops (10 -12 mins) and you are in midtown. It's practical to use subway to all locations. We got $28 unlimited use tickets for the week - great value. New York subway beats Paris or London for price and understandability!
• Airport connections. You can get a car ride; $65 plus tip. Takes an hour, sit in traffic. To go home, we took subway to Penn Station, LIRR to Jamaica and Airtrain to JFK. Stress free, also takes an hour ish, costs half as much as the car ride (for all 4 of us!).
So; maybe you can find a slightly fancier rental or neigborhood on this site.
But you will not find better rental value for a family, nor a more flexible concerned & helpful landlord than Michael.
Ditch the Holiday Inn - stay in one of Michael's suites.
California July 2010
Tourists without a Car,
Families with Teenagers,
Families with Young Children
Helpful votes: 3/3
Did you find this review helpful?