Like the house but not private
We rented the house on Mutiny Bay for eleven nights this summer. Pets, baby and all. Property worked out and was an accurate portrayal from the pictures. I'll give the plus's and minus's:
1. House has been remolded and is in great condition, especially vs other properties i've rented on VRBO in the NW. Good hardwood floors, screens didn't have any holes, and having a gas cook-top was a big plus. The separate laundry-room became a great place for storage.
2. The house is west facing which means sun until almost 9pm with amazing sunsets. The views each day looking out the windows on the water were spectacular. Also, even with a very bright sun shining through, the house remained quite cool with the windows open.
3. Very comfortable bed which I haven't been able to say many times before.
4. Great decks overlooking both waterside and front yard and it was very enjoyable sitting outside at night watching the water, and sunset and cruise ships go by.
5. Fenced yard in front for pets was secure for my two escape prone dogs.
1. Noisy and not very private. Each morning starting as early as 4:30am, people would be fishing directly in front of the house on the beach. These people, were not neighbors but people who came down from other areas to fish on the beach. It was not very relaxing having the balcony door open at night for the sound of the waves to then be awakened to noisy fisherman chatting at that early hour every day.
2. Speaking of noise, it can get very loud with the neighboring houses being so close. With 3 days to go on our stay, the neighbors arrived at their cottage with 3 other couples and were up drinking and playing music and partying until 3am each night. These people were the owners of that cottage, not renters.
3. The property is currently for sale with a real estate sign in front. Thought I should share that.
4. Twice during our stay, the management company with whom the owner contracts to maintain and clean the property, stopped at the unit unannounced. The first time it was to get toilet paper for another property (which woke up our young one who was taking a much needed nap) and the second time to do yard work and fix something inside the house. Again I felt this was invasive especially for $2 worth of toilet paper. Really?
We had a relaxing trip and enjoyed our time away but this is not a property I would rent again as some of the noise and privacy issues wouldn't work for us in the future.
Owner's Response: Thank you greatly for your feedback. First and foremost, my sincere apologies for your feelings of lack of privacy. We work extremely hard to provide a comfortable, private, and luxurious stay for all our guests, so I am very concerned about this as we typically receive nothing but rave reviews. I appreciate the pro's and would like to address the con's and privacy issues.
Fishing season is very short on the island, usually just a couple weeks when the salmon are passing through. All of our beaches are private, so there should have been no outside guests accessing the beach. Most of our guests that come this time of year do so to experience the thrill of catching a salmon from the beach which is very exciting! If this ever happens again please call and notify us and we will have our caretakers notify these people they are on private property.
Both of our neighbors are in their 60's and 70's and in all of our time and guests at the beach we have never experienced this type of feedback. Typically our guests marvel at how quite and private the beach is. We are friends with both neighbors and would have gladly called and rectified this had we been informed they were bothersome to you. We will be addressing this issue with them and can be assured this will not be repeated.
Hotels, resorts, and rental homes transfer ownership quite frequently so I'm not sure this has any relevance to a future guest. The property was for sale with conditions being that ownership would not be transferred until all rental obligations are fulfilled or the new owners were willing to fulfill all rental contracts. We are contractually bound to honor all our reservations as stated in our rental documents.
I apologize for the inconvenience. Our caretakers are known to be some of the best on the island and are very attentive to the needs of our guests. I have instructed them to call prior to visiting the home in the future while guests are present.
Thanks again for the great feedback. As you can see from all the excellent reviews from our previous guests over the years it seems that these circumstances were very unique and are not the norm. We also ask that all our guests please call our cell phones which are listed in the rental documents with any issues during your stay so that we may have the chance to rectify them immediately rather than hearing about them after the stay is over.
Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and we hope to have you back in the future.
Helpful votes: 1/2
Did you find this review helpful?