Very Disappointed! We would never have rented the property if we knew what we were getting.
Very disappointed! We rented this house for over the Christmas/New Year’s holiday and were very disappointed with home.
1. Despite the fact that we specifically told the management company that wifi/internet was a requirement for us while booking the property, the wifi/internet didn’t work at all the entire time we were there! As a result my husband ended up spending most of our vacation at a local Starbucks rather than with his family. Although they did attempt to fix it, both the management company and the owner seemed indifferent to the degree in which the lack of internet/wifi negatively affected our vacation.
2. When we arrived the house was 53 degrees (middle of December) and in 24 hours had only warmed to 58 degrees. As we had an infant traveling with us this was not a good situations for us.
3. The guest bedroom (guest bedroom #1) was freezing the entire time were there! Although there was a space heater in the house one of the legs was broken so it couldn’t be used safely. When we informed the management company of this they said they knew the leg was broken and to ‘prop it up with some books’. We had to warm up the rest of the house to the point where the other bedrooms were uncomfortably warm just to get the room warm enough so it was livable.
4. Very small hot water heater for the size of the house – we ran out of hot water constantly. Also, the sink in the bathroom on the middle floor doesn’t have any hot water. Not very fun for anyone who has to shave or wash their face.
5. The gas cooktop is dangerous! It doesn’t light well so when it finally does there is a whoosh of flame that comes up and over the burners. Very scary!
6. Ants everywhere!
7. Be warned - the bedroom on the very top floor has a bed but it isn’t really a bedroom.
8. Figure out where the plunger is on the very first day – you’re going to need it.
9. The house is generally in need of repair. For example, there are lamp shades missing from light fixtures, the screen door in the master bedroom is broken, the doorbell doesn’t work, etc.
Overall, the house added far more stress than convenience to our vacation and we will never stay here again. We would never have rented the property if we knew what we were actually getting.
Owner's Response: We are of course disappointed that these guests were dissatisfied with their stay. We have been renting out our house when we are not there for over 5 years, and they are the first guests who have not been absolutely delighted with the property. The internet service had been working prior to the visit of these guests, and as soon as they reported the problem, we did our best to resolve it, spending literally hours on the phone with HughesNet technicians (and with HughesNet muzak!), making two trips to the property, rush-ordered a new modem, paid extra fees, etc. Equipment failures sometimes happen and this was one of those instances. We regret that we could not get the problem fixed during the time of their visit. We reduced their charges by 25% as we told them we would. The internet service is now fixed, and we were even able to upgrade to the next generation, higher speed modem.
The other issues reported by the guest have either been repaired (the broken wheel on the space heater and lampshade which was cracked by the house set-up crew just before the guests’ arrival and removed for safety), or they presented no problems when we checked them (there were no ants, no ignition problems with the top of the line Wolf gas range, and no problem of hot water supply upstairs which is supplied by a tankless, energy-saving on-demand hot water system).
The house is a lovely, peaceful retreat that has been much appreciated by the other guests who have left comments on this site. It is a wonderful place to wine, dine, relax, and even to get work done in a quiet and creative setting.
Helpful votes: 6/6
Did you find this review helpful?