A nice place to stay
I would overall recommend this appartment, we sure had a pleasant stay in NYC. Here are some pluses and minuses in my opinion:
- Conveniently located 5 minutes away from the Prospect Park subway station. Another line a bit further away on Nostrand. Never used the car for the whole week (except to park it, see below).
- Equiped kitchen. Somehow a toaster was missing, but the housekeeper got us one the next day (the owner Sylvia, away at the time of our stay, responded quickly via email). Nice coffee machine, including coffee (we bought some, to realize later that there was plenty already provided...).
- WiFi works great.
- Indian restaurant down the street (King of Tandoor) is pretty good and really close.
- Supermarket not too far. Also a few more expensive but fancier places.
- Prospect Park really close. If you're running (or cycling, or rollerblading), this is the place to go. There is no shortage of runners there!!
- Air conditioning unit. Noisy but keeps heat and humidity under control.
- Large enough for 5-6 people (though kitchen is better suited for 4).
- Parking on the street, generally easy (once did we come close not to find a spot, but I got lucky and could take the place of someone leaving). We do have to switch sides because of no-parking restrictions on one side (Mon&Thu 9:30-11:00) or the other (Tue&Fri 9:30-11:00 if memory serves me) on some days. The one time where it was tight though, there really was no room anywhere near on this street of the next few. So it remains somewhat of a worry. The parking at the end of the street mentioned in an earlier review of this property closed down (for good) on 7/31/2013.
- We only had 4 towels (for 5 people) but we were quickly provided with the missing one. Overall, you're not on your own, even if the owners are away.
- The east side of Prospect Park (where the appt is located) is not as nice as the west side. Many cheaper shops on Flatbush Ave.
- The appartment is in the basement (though enough of it is above ground), and it is therefore not as bright as it would seem from the pictures.
- Kitchen table is rather small. Don't plan a big dinner with 6-8 people and lots of food on the table!
- No outside terrasse and BBQ.
Owner's Response: Thanks for your review - it was great having you here. Just to clarify a few points you made: alternate side parking where you will have to move your car for street cleaning is in effect in the whole of New York City. We are lucky in our neighborhood that we do still find parking on the street easily during the day. The garage at the end of our block did not close, and is still open (there was another garage a couple of blocks away that did close).
The apartment is a garden level apartment (not basement - there is a basement below the apartment). As it is on the ground floor of our house, the trees on or block do take some of the light. On the upside, the shade they provide does tend to keep the air in the apartment cooler and more pleasant in the summer.
We always do our best to make every stay a good experience and even when we are on vacation ourselves, our house keeper is right around the corner to address anything and everything quickly.
Helpful votes: 3/3
Did you find this review helpful?