Less than stellar
This house was pretty much as described as far as number of rooms and beds, a.c. units, showers, furniture, etc. However, I found the condition of the house to be rundown and no sign of pride of ownership. The cable wires ran all over the floors in all the rooms. In the living room there is a wire sticking out of the floor (under a chair) that was not live but why leave a wire just sticking out of the floor? The overhead fan in the LR did not work. One of the AC units in the bedroom is melted. The fridge was not level and the oven worked but just looked beat up. The outside shower is rickety and looks like an afterthought. The ceiling is falling down in the kitchen and you can see it was just painted over--the root problem not addressed. The back porch "screenhouse" is full of holes and therefore does not really keep the bugs out. I paid extra to get the internet key but never received any information on it and never had internet access the whole week (except on my smartphone), which was a problem since it rained a few days and we would have liked to use Netflix for something to do. Even after emailing the owner during the week I got no response. She never left a phone # to contact in case of emergency. The cable package is very basic and didn't leave many options for viewing.
As for the town, Cape Charles is a quiet little place with only a few restaurants and bars and most everything is locked up tight by 8 p.m. We enjoyed the ability to bike everywhere and the people were friendly but there just wasn't enough to do, especially with a 2-year-old in the rain. I would not recommend this house for families with young children as I found all the wires to be dangerous and the stairs are pretty steep. We loved the Shanty and had a great meal there. Another favorite was Kelly's Gingernut Pub. The beach was nice, clean, and not very crowded. The water, however, is barely waist deep even at high tide. The fishing pier was nice, too, since you didn't need a license!
All in all we had an okay time but for the first time in years we didn't dread the end of vacation but were looking forward to getting home.
Owner's Response: Dear Homeaway,
1. Just reviewed the home away site and the my phone # is listed.
2. The budget vacation home (as advertised) does have a few war wounds. 2 shelves in the fridge have been repaired. BUT SHE NEVER MENTIONED- it works great and makes a ton of ice for her super large party
3. In regards to the a/c unit that blows cold and is very quite has a little melt in the corner where someone ran the heat and air at the same time.
4. The kitchen ceiling is a little uneven and has been that way for the 11 plus years I have owned the house.
5. What Susan failed to mention is that she had a party of 8. Consisting of 7 adults and 1 child. THIS IS $17 A NIGHT A PERSON.
The house is exactly what i described. "Farm House", "Fisherman's getaway", "Budget Vacation for large group".
6. Hope Susan and her 6 other adults and 1 child find a large budget vacation with restaurants open til 10 pm, movie theaters, no rain and deep water swimming next year.
Helpful votes: 6/9
Did you find this review helpful?