An Extremely Unpleasant Experience
This is an overall attractive home, with some things not attended to and in poor repair. It is much as described, with the following serious exceptions:
* The garage was inaccessible due to overflowing garbage left by previous tenants. I counted 8 cans and 13 bags/boxes of garbage, which I carried to the curb at the owner's request.
* Every entrance was icy and not even a snow shovel was provided... of some concern because we had an elderly family member at our reunion
* The furnace and hot water heater which served the entire house failed, and the owner admits this has happened before with some regularity. The house therefore was very cold until we managed to restart it.
* There was no book of instructions or helpful information for renters
* Our group waited 2 1/2 hours beyond the arranged hour of availability while the house cleaners finished
* The dishwasher failed and was full of dirty dishes on our arrival. It later flooded.The cabinets (one of which had a gaping, broken door, were likewise stocked with some dirty dishes.
* The fireplace had no handle on the door, and only a few construction scraps with nails were provided instead of firewood for our mid-winter visit. With a failed furnace, this was crucial
We are not the kind to complain, and so did not immediately call to register these inadequacies with the (initially helpful) owner. This led to later heated accusations by the owner of having damaged these items ourselves. Serious problems arose because this owner seems to have no system of checks in place to determine any damages caused by previous tenants. The owner delayed more than the 30 days that Nevada law allows in returning a partial deposit, which we accepted so that we would no longer have to deal with this individual.
We would strongly caution renters of this otherwise attractive home to IMMEDIATELY document any concerns or reports of damages. As fairly frequent renters of vacation homes for our family reunions, I can state that we have never had a worse renting experience.
Owner's Response: I find this review strange because the guest stated in her email upon departure, "Again, sorry to leave this on a bad note... I was hoping to return at some time and rent your home again in the future."
First and foremost, the house is in great condition and is maintained regularly by a caretaker. If there are ANY issues at check in or during your stay, please call me.
To address some of the "complaints":
The rental instructions state the renting group is required to take out the trash on Tuesday morning.
There are 2 snow shovels at the house. It does snow in Tahoe in the winter. We employ a snow removal company to remove the snow.
The boiler, upon excessive use, will shut off to protect it from overheating. Clear instructions are provided on how to reset the boiler. The group did call. I immediately answered and repeated the reset instructions. No complaint was ever made about the temperature of the house until now.
I alerted the group the cleaners may still be at the house past check in time, to which Jennifer responded, “There's no problem if the cleaners are still there after 3, Sam. If that's the case we can be flexible.”
We do not state anywhere that we provide firewood however, most guests have simply brought their own or bought firewood at the supermarket in town.
The full deposit would have been refunded promptly had the issues below not occurred.
My family arrived to my house the day the "guests" left. My house was trashed. They brought FOUR dogs with them, which were not authorized in the rental agreement. There was dog hair and filth everywhere. The leather couches were scratched beyond repair. One wall was scratched through the paint and into the drywall. A kitchen cabinet was missing, the dishwasher was pulled a full 8 inches out of its housing and the latch on the dishwasher was broken.
After admitting to the extra dogs, extra house guests and damaging the dishwasher and upon my attempt to deduct 50 dollars in extra cleaning for the dogs and 190 for the repair of the dishwasher, the entire group began to deluge me with nasty emails and then resorted to calling me at dinner time to harass me even further.
The majority of our guests have treated our house as they would their own I am well aware things break when renting a house; but when guests do not take care of the property they are renting, they need to be responsible for the they damage caused. Our house is NOT A PARTY HOUSE, it is a family house.
Helpful votes: 4/4
Did you find this review helpful?