Comfort TX, Verde Creek Cabin
The view from the back porch to the creek is beautiful. The photo doesn't lie.
We used the cabin for 4 nights as a base to travel to San Antonio and then visit locations nearby in the Hill Country.
Most of the accommodations in the cabin are perfectly adequate, but we had a few issues:
1. There was leftover food still in the freezer.
2. Some lights didn't work, bulbs were out. We did some swapping with some lights that had 2 bulbs, but there were no spares to be found.
3. The sink in the bathroom must be the smallest sink in the world. It is about 12x8". It is almost impossible to brush your teeth and not make a mess on the floor, we hit our heads on the wall as we tried to get over the sink. Perhaps the sink could be rotated 90 degrees and still not take up too much room. Better planning would have made a larger bath area and eliminated the need for such a small sink.
4. We needed to clean a few items- the sink dish drainer was rather "gunky" and the small lamp on the kitchen counter seemed as though it hadn't been cleaned in years. Some serious scrubbing took care of both, but they weren't major issues.
5. The placemats on the kitchen table were filthy on the bottom side, but the tops were clean. Again, we just washed them in the sink and dried them, but this shouldn't have been necessary.
6. The flashlight in the cabinet is likely there for emergencies, but it had been left on and the batteries were dead. But, the batteries expired about 3 years ago anyway... no spare batteries for the flashlight.
6. Soap in the bathroom ran out the first day, again, lack of attention to details. We had our own, but...
7. Hand and bath towels were great, but we would also have liked to have had washcloths.
8. Cowboy hats are hung everywhere for decoration, but we would have liked some places to hang our own hats and clothes. There is a small closet, but hooks on the walls would have made it better.
Don't get me wrong, we loved staying here and the view from the back porch is terrific. If there were just a little more attention to details, this would be a wonderful place to stay. It fit our needs perfectly.
Having access to wireless was wonderful!
As the info states, be sure and buy groceries before you get there.
There are some great wineries and places to eat nearby. Using the info in the book in the cabin will help a lot.
Owner's Response: Wow, that’s an unusual way to give a 4 star rating!
All I can think to say in response is to encourage you that you might have found your stay more pleasant if you utilized your skill of “noticing” things in a more positive way. As you said, the picture does not lie. Most people find it therapeutic to just “chill” on the porch ... spending their time taking in the beauty of the setting ... not inspecting the expiration date of batteries ... and find the smallest sink in the world, “quirky,” not offensive. (By the way, there is a kitchen sink as an alternative ... and I’m not sure why you were hitting your head.)
“Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are.” - Marianne Williamson
P. S. I want to assure all future guests that we have the cabin professionally cleaned every time a guest is booked and have had other guests comment on the cleanliness of the cabin. We will certainly pass on this guest’s comments to them and, of course, re-stock the light bulbs and batteries but the other things are beyond the scope of a “cabin” stay (e.g., we are not the Four Seasons).
Helpful votes: 1/3
Did you find this review helpful?