Can't imagine a nicer place to stay!
Can't imagine a nicer place to stay!
My husband, daughter, and I stayed here around Xmas 2011 and loved it!
The apartment was beautiful, spacious, and immaculate. The kitchen/dining room has a huge window (a whole wall) opening out to sea. It's like having a shaded sea-side deck, only better, since you can also close it and still have the same gorgeous view (esp. nice at sunset, though you can't see the sun itself). The beach just under your windows is invisible: total privacy.
The beach is beautiful and great for swimming (the picture on the site shows a couple of rocks in the water, but it's actually almost completely sandy). Best of all, it was NEARLY EMPTY, even in high season! We went to Orient Bay and couldn't stand the crowds: this beach is superior in every way.
You can walk to town along the beach instead of the busy road. It's 5 minutes to the beginning of Grand-Case proper: the first cafes/restaurants and a wonderful bakery where we got our croissants every morning. It's another 10 - 15 minutes to the end of town. There are many places where you can cross over from the beach to the main street with all the (excellent) restaurants.
No real negatives, but a few things to keep in mind:
* The local contact, Nadine, who let us into the apt. was very nice, but spoke NO ENGLISH. My French is OK, but otherwise this could have been a problem -- no way to ask questions, get local info, etc.
* Upon arrival, Nadine asked us for a large security deposit. This had not been mentioned on the Website or in any emails. No big deal, since it's refundable, but it was only by luck that I had my checkbook with me. Not sure what we'd have done otherwise!
* The parking lot in front of the building fills up every night - you can't count on a parking space. There was always space to park near the car rental place <100 meters away down the road. But still not ideal, and it would have been nice to have been warned and given instructions.
* The pull-out bed is very comfy, but it's a single, whereas the listing seems to imply it's a double. You could prob. have a 4th person sleep on the sofa, but there were no sheets for it. So if you have 4 people, talk to the owner.
* The apartment was supposed to have internet, but when we got there, it had not yet been connected. They were working on it, and meanwhile Nadine arranged for us to use the neighbors' wifi. Should be OK soon, but be sure you ask the owner.
Overall, we LOVED this place. We'd come back here in a heartbeat!
Owner's Response: Many thanks for your comments, I think it is really helpful for all other future clients.
I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to seeing you again in Grand Case !
In order to respond to your little comments:
* Nadine, the local contact was standing in for me as I am in France right now. From January 20th, I will be on the premises to welcome you and I speak English fluently.
*Regarding the deposit, a $500 deposit is required as in many other flats and it is written twice in the rental contract. Once with the price and another time in the general conditions. It is payable by cash or by check and it is, of course, refundable.
*It is true that the parking lot in front of the building fills up every night in high season. But I confirm that there is always space to park near the building.
*The pull-out bed is called lit "gigogne" in French and it is 2 mattress of 1 people that you can put at the same level to create a double bed. So if you are 4 people staying at the flat, you will have 2 double beds ( do not need to sleep on the sofa !).
*Regarding Internet, it is connected now and working with a Livebox.
Again, I am very happy that you really enjoyed your time on the "Friendly Island".
Helpful votes: 7/7
Did you find this review helpful?