'The Residence' is a beautiful, secluded property nestled in the foothills of the Berkshires. Built in 1926 and renovated in 1996, our beautiful 3 bdrm, 2 bath vacation rental is centrally located between Great Barrington and Lenox, and only 3 minutes to Stockbridge center. While the rental is close to many of the area's attractions, it feels 'away from it all' as it is ensconced in the magic of the woods and ceaseless birdsong. This rental is part of a family estate which sits on 14 acres of woods, rolling meadows and a delightful babbling stream.
- All Amenities inside and out
- New Queen Beds upstairs; Double Bed down; Sofa Bed too
- Large Eat-In Kitchen with everything for cooking and eating
- Comfortable and cozy living room w/ rustic wood-burning fireplace
- Large Library collection for your enjoyment
- Beautiful Deck with woodland view
- Children's play barn
- Table Tennis barn
- Ample Parking for multiple cars
- In-home washer and dryer
- Dishwasher and Microwave
- 40' TV
- DVD player and Radio
- In-house Phone; free domestic long-distance phone
- Lake Swimming Passes Provided along with beach towels
- Charcoal grill located on sweet back porch
- Pet Friendly - with prior arrangement
- Walk to the Chesterwood & Norman Rockwell Museums
- Near 'Berkshire Mountain Bakery' (can smell the fresh bread)
- Uniquely located off the beaten path yet within minutes of Stockbridge, West Stockbridge, Great Barrington, Lenox.
- Mountain bike, sled, and cross-country ski your way through the woods and meadows straight out the front door!
Note: the rental unit adjoins the caretaker's apartment (i.e., shares a wall; no shared spaces or entrances, separate driveways). The caretakers are quiet and keep to themselves, and are available to assist guests with the rental if needed.
We are a professional family with very strong ties and attachments to the Berkshires. The 'Residence' on Williamsville Road has been in our family for over 40 years. It's been that magical place where our extended family has lived, loved and grown. It's been that beautiful space where marriage proposals were accepted and where joyous weddings took place.
It's been our home to welcome the newest members of our families and where our children spent weekends and holidays delighting us with their discoveries of a fallen bird, wild strawberries, or new deer prints in the snow.
It's been that fun treat where teenagers invited their city friends for swimming, skiing, and sleepovers. It's been the quiet retreat where sister-in-laws got to know one another better and where brothers bonded; that place where parents aged, where screenwriters wrote, where the academics of the family studied and researched, and where so many dreams started that ultimately changed the lives of others in so many ways.
That is our home. That is The Residence. This is the unique love and magic we can offer you as your 'Home-Away-from-Home' in the Berkshires.
The property (14 acres of pristine woods) is secluded and yet just minutes to everything. Our caretakers Jonathan and Sarah are there if you need them, and all efforts are made to make your stay in our home as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.
The Residence is also a unique piece of Berkshire history. The first cabin on the property (across the driveway from the rental) was built 'by hand' by Gertrude Robinson Smith and her companion, two very feisty and spirited women who defied convention for their time. (The New York Times called the Residence 'a manless eden.')
In addition to founding the American Women's Association, raising funds for war relief, and championing independence for young women in New York City, Ms. Robinson Smith was a co-founder of Tanglewood, and the Residence actually served as the first ticket office for the music festival!! A rustic one-room cabin off the upper driveway of the property is there today as it was then, marked, simply, 'office.'
The rental is spacious, comfortable and beautiful, and the grounds are well-kept and very peaceful.