Feb 2012 Stay with 4 couples
As 4 couples, we were looking for a place to all have private rooms yet still be close to the mountain for skiing. The location of this home is great only 5 minute drive to Okemo. The owner was easy to coordinate with prior to our stay and was responsive to any email inquires prior to our stay. We've used HomeAway in the past have always had great experiences but this time there were some things we felt should have been disclosed upfront. I hope you find the review fair and relevant.
- The house acts as a two family despite the picture that makes it look like a one family and it was a bit eerie and unexpected to be able to hear the neighbors on the other side of the wall, especially when there were doors and closets that clearly connect
- The shower on the 1st floor is clogged and drains very slowly (leaving the person showering with a pool of water at their feet while bathing) - as a result the 8 of us opted to use upstairs shower
- Kitchen does not have a dishwasher, although listing indicates kitchen “washing machine”, which was confusing/deceiving
- Overall cleanliness was not up to the standard we have experienced with previous HomeAway stays. Perhaps there is water damage from Irene and residual mold/dust, as our allergies were also very severe (particularly in the basement). Or maybe something (smoke/mold?) from the other side of the home is traveling through the vents.
- Quality of sleeper sofa - this sleeping arrangement may be suitable for children, although adults should be advised to bring an air mattress if utilizing this area as it caused back pains.
Overall everything was okay, no wifi and spotty cell service.
Owner's Response: It’s unfortunate that you were not pleased with everything at my home, I hope overall you enjoyed your time there. Even with some mild complaints, it is up to par for the price, if not better. For only $75 per couple plus tax, you had a country home on a holiday weekend just 5 minutes from Okemo, a major mountain resort with 96% snowmaking coverage and consistent top rankings for snow quality in the Northeast. I’ll try to address your complaints here. Yes, you are correct, it is a two family home, however there are no connecting closets. There is one door that goes to the furnace room, which is locked because I don’t want seasonal tenants in there. There are two locked closets, where I keep my personal belongings. The single adjoining door has key locks on both sides. The full time tenants on the other side are hardly ever there. They leave at about 11:00 a.m. and return about 10:30 p.m. because they own a restaurant in town. The shower drain I was unaware of, and has since been fixed. The “kitchen washing machine” in the listing was an unnoticed error and that has since been corrected. As for the sofa bed, it is what it is, and it was not listed as anything otherwise. The listing clearly states three bedrooms with a sofa bed in the living room and rec room. As for the allergies, the house is very old, built in 1859. We were very fortunate to have no storm damage. There are no vents in the house, as it has hot water heat. I’m not sure what would have bothered you, but perhaps it has something to do with the age of the home.
Helpful votes: 2/6
Did you find this review helpful?