Paid Peak Rate for Poorly Maintained House
Submitted: August 17, 2011
Stayed: July 2011
My husband and I rented this house over the 4th of July (2011) and invited friends. While we were there, the ceiling in the great room leaked every time someone showered in the Master Bath, the Carbon Monoxide alarm went off, and the hot water tank was leaking. The house was also very poorly stocked (i.e. 1 knife for a kitchen that boasts commercial appliances; mugs and wine glasses but no cups; no light bulbs in several of the lamps.) When we contacted the property manager on multiple occasions (about the leak--which resulted in a hole in the ceiling by the end of our trip-- and the Carbon Monoxide scare), she did respond but was largely dismissive. While the house had good bones, because of its poor condition, I strongly recommend staying elsewhere. As a side note-- I've stayed at many homes that we've rented through HomeAway.com, but this review is the only negative one that I've ever written.
Owner's Response: WHAT NIGHTMARE TENANTS! Tenant clearly failed to state that house was to be rented by themselves and three other couples totaling 8 people which would have been fine as we clearly advertise the house to accommodate 8 people, Unfortunately tenant had over 18 people stay at the house and created a fire on our deck along with doing alot of damage including a hole in the ceiling to our home, There also is not a property manager as this is our personal home and we were never contacted by tenants until a few days later asking for their return of security!! DISGRACEFUL
Helpful votes: 6/8
Did you find this review helpful?