One of a kind - A light-filled, three-bedroom + studio, English country cottage set amidst tumbling perennial gardens. Exquisite ocean and/or garden views from every window of the home. An ideal location in the heart of one of Vancouver's most delightful and prestigious communities. This is Dundarave Cottage.
Built in 1934, Dundarave Cottage was created as a home for family and friends, laughter and love. Guests routinely remark on the cottage's energy: light, bright, warm and inviting. The gardens were created by horticulturalist Patsy Barr, who owned the house for many years. Infused with Barr's trademark blend of English and Japanese influences, it is a lush, yet peaceful garden that calls children to play and adults to wander, rest and unwind.
Today the cottage is owned by a local architect/interior designer team. Guided by their love of uncluttered, authentic design, they have preserved the house and gardens largely in their original form, while adding delightful and whimsical touches: sculpted wooden birds, Scandinavian bentwood boxes, pine chests, Danish antiques, custom-built beds and contemporary paintings. The result is a one-of-a-kind home that will appeal to those who seek out the authentic and eschew the predictable.
Main Floor Detail:
• Living Room/Dining Room: The cottage's large living/dining room compels visitors to settle in and stay a while. A sunny nook, a good book and a view of tiny birds dancing in the holly tree may capture your imagination in the morning. Come afternoon, open the French doors and walk out to the large south-facing patio to take in the sun as you look out over the gardens, city and ocean. Dinner and a spectacular sunset are best enjoyed at the dining room's Italian Bianca carrera marble table, which offers a spectacular southwesterly ocean view. Come nightfall, a cozy gas fireplace and comfortable furnishings will lure you back in for an evening of talk, games or television.
• Kitchen/Breakfast Room: Days start in this friendly space with an inviting kitchen eating area and eastern exposure capturing the early morning light. Everything you need to create healthy, delicious meals is available in the fully equipped kitchen. A full-size laundry and mudroom facility is conveniently located right off the kitchen.
• Main Floor Bedroom: With its warm red walls and stunning southwesterly views, the main floor bedroom offers a touch of the inspirational. One past tenant credits his prosperity to the room as it was the space where he envisioned and created a highly successful business. Furnished with a queen size bed this room now serves as a bedroom and is proving equally adept at providing guests with a wonderful night's sleep.
Second Floor Detail:
• Master Bedroom: Spectacular ocean and garden views to the south and the west greet you as you enter the large and airy second-floor, master bedroom. Featuring a king-sized bed with antique headboard and fine linens, a wood-burning fireplace, antique furnishings and original walk-in closet/dressing room, this is the ideal place to begin and end each day.
• Second Bedroom: The charming second bedroom is located upstairs across from the master bedroom and decorated with antique pine furniture a queen bed and sunny, floral linens.
• Main Bathroom: The master bathroom is also located on the second floor, offering garden views to the east, full bathtub/shower, toilet and sink.
• A bonus feature of Dundarave Cottage is the 225 sq. ft. studio positioned at the back of the house and accessible from an outside entrance. With three walls of windows looking out on the perennial gardens, this is a wonderful and private space for writers, artists or anyone just looking for a quiet away place to think, work or play.
• This special house is located on a private 145 x 64 south-facing lot in the heart of Dundarave, West Vancouver--one of Canada's most desirable and exclusive locations. The property offers unbelievably clear ocean and city views, with Stanley Park and Lions Gate Bridge to the East and Lighthouse Park to the West. You are also an easy five-minute walk to Dundarave Village, where you can enjoy breakfast and fresh baked goods at the Bakehouse, coffee at Delaneys or Starbucks, pick up supplies for dinner at the Italian deli, the fish market, the organic meat market or grocery store, and then browse the local shops and art galleries. Don't want to cook? Dundarave Village offers fine dining on the waterfront at either The Beach House or the Red Lion Pub. The village also offers your choice of sushi, Italian, seafood, and a number of wonderful cafes.
• Dundarave Village is the beginning of the famous West Vancouver Seawall, manicured walking/jogging paths that stretch several kilometers along the waterfront. Dundarave Beach is the prettiest beach in the Lower Mainland - perfect for viewing summer fireworks and sunsets. It offers a picnic area, playground, and a wonderful preschool.
• In terms of access to other areas, you are just 10 minutes to downtown Vancouver and the local North Shore mountains. Whistler is just over an hour away.
Keywords: Private, safe and quiet.
10 minutes to downtown Vancouver and the local mountains, one hour to Whistler, walking distance to the beaches and shops and many restaurants of Dundarave village. Set in a perennial garden the cottage has south- west orientation with uninterrupted ocean and city views. This is a retreat Jane Austen would have loved.
Separate studio opens onto garden.
Dogs are welcome with previous permission.
My husband Lewis and I are designer/architects. We have worked and lived in many cities in Canada and Europe. We have 3 children - 1 away at school and 1 travelling and periodically living with us.
We bought this house when it became available in 1997 because we wanted to preserve a unique house with very special gardens. It is next door to our current house and we plan to downsize into it when the children leave !
This special Retreat in Dundarave area of West Vancouver is full of warmth and character.
It has been popular with those in the film industry with its easy access to Vancouver film studios
Private, safe and quiet.
Recent Tenants of this special house -
Tommy Gormley First Assistant Director- 2012
Kimble Rendall Second unit Director- I Robot
Ian Telfer Chairman Goldcorp Inc
Rusty Smith Production Designer - Agent Cody Banks?
Mike Leahy Producer - Halloween
Gil Adler Producer -13 Ghosts
Ida Random Production Designer -Along came a Spider