The Biskra House is a spacious home with the luxury and style of a boutique hotel and the comfort and convenience of a well-stocked private residence.
The light-filled open plan main house features a living and dining room, a well-equipped kitchen, and large den with a fireplace. There are two master bedrooms with en-suite baths at opposite ends of the house, a central bedroom with two extra-long twin beds and an adjacent large bath. The attached casita has a spacious bedroom with en-suite bath, kitchenette and private entrance. The home and casita surround a courtyard with a large salt water pool, ample outdoor seating in shade and sun, and custom desert landscaping.
Room to play.
The living/dining room features a 60-inch plasma tv, leather seating for 6 to 8 people, surround sound, a PS3 game system/BluRay disc player (plays regular DVDs as well), DirectTV with premium movie and sports channels, and an assortment of movies and games. Record your favorite shows or movies on the DVR, or challenge your family and friends to a dance-off with the JustDance3 game and PS3 move controllers!
The large den has a comfortable sectional sofa, chairs, a gas fireplace, built-in bookcases with plenty of books, board and card games, in-wall speakers and a receiver to listen to either internet radio or your own music device. This sunny room is the perfect place to unwind and enjoy a novel, listen to your favorite music or catch up with family and friends.
Dine in style.
The large (8+ foot) dining table seats 8-10, and there is additional seating at barstools around the huge center island in the open kitchen for larger gatherings (up to 16 guests are allowed during the day, 8 overnight). There are placemats, dishes, silverware and glasses for 16, so you won’t need to spend your vacation loading the dishwasher.
The well-equipped kitchen features a Viking cooktop, convection oven and microwave, lots of granite countertops, island seating for 4, and everything you need to create meals from scratch or warm up leftovers from the myriad of restaurants in the area. Plan an ice cream party with the double bowl ice cream maker (makes two flavors at once), milk shake blender, and sundae glasses, or plan a cookout on the gas grill. Whip up a smoothie before hiking on the bump-n-grind trail (or a batch of margaritas afterwards) with the 1100-watt Ninja blender. Holiday gatherings are effortless here, with plenty of serving dishes, place mats, wine glasses and baking dishes available. If there is a specific kitchen item you’re wondering about, email us for a kitchen inventory.
All bedrooms feature comfortable beds with high-quality linens, at least two sets of pillows, blackout curtains, new (2012) flat-screen LCD tvs, BluRay players, DirectTV, and alarm clocks with iPod docks (they work with other smart phones, too). Three bedrooms have California King size beds and en-suite baths with large frameless glass showers and plenty of counter space, and the fourth has two xl-twin beds that can be combined to make a Standard King (King linens available). Special features of each room include:
• Master suite is over 300 square feet, that is, big enough for a California King size bed, a seating area with a couch and chairs, a 42” flatscreen, and a writing desk. The spacious master bath features a Jacuzzi tub in addition to the frameless glass shower, a double sink, and lots of counter and storage space. Best of all, the bath opens to a charming private patio with seating for two, a fountain and solar lanterns.
• Second master bedroom has a California King size bed, sliding doors that open to the courtyard pool, a 42” television, ceiling fan, and a bath with a frameless glass shower and custom vanity that’s perfect for tall guests.
• Third bedroom in main house features two xl-twin beds that can be combined to make a standard king, a 32-inch television, sliding doors that open to the courtyard pool, a ceiling fan and beautifully hand-painted walls. There is an adjacent bathroom with a large frameless glass shower and lots of cabinet and counter space.
• The casita bedroom has California King size bed, built-in writing desk with skylight, private entrance, and en-suite bath with a frameless glass shower and plenty of counter space. The casita kitchenette has a second coffeemaker, refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher, making it easy to enjoy a cup of coffee, glass of wine or a snack before joining guests in the main house.
Soak up the sun.
Outdoor living is easy here. Splash around in the large, heated, saline pool or drift away the afternoon on one of the included foam pool floats. Enjoy meals alfresco at one of the three café tables right outside the kitchen sliding doors, or lounge in the shade or sun on the comfortable outdoor upholstered furniture. Enjoy lazy days in the sun with plenty of beach towels, outdoor dishes and glasses available. The new propane grill is easy to use, and the casita kitchenette is right off the patio, with full-sized refrigerator, dishwasher, sink and storage to make outdoor entertaining easy.
There’s room for everyone outside with:
• Upholstered outdoor sectional, seats six or more
• Two roomy upholstered club chairs and ottomans
• Four upholstered loungers
• Three café tables with six chairs (plus, bring dining chairs outside for more seating).
Explore the beautiful California desert.
You may find it difficult to leave the comforts of the Biskra House, but if you muster the enthusiasm, there’s plenty to do. Hike at one of the many trails within easy walking or driving distance from the house. Play golf at one of the area’s 80-plus public and private courses. Shop at El Paseo (the Rodeo Drive of the desert), The River shopping center (just one mile away), or the Desert Hills Premium Outlets. Enjoy a spa day at one of the many nearby resorts and casinos, or take a day trip to the mountain artist community of Idyllwild or Joshua Tree state park. Kids will love Knotts Soak City in Palm Springs, the Living Desert Zoo and Botanical Garden in Palm Desert, or the Children’s Discovery Museum in Rancho Mirage. Our guest information book has plenty of information on restaurants, activities and attractions, as well practical information about where to buy groceries, fill prescriptions and all the other ordinary stuff of life. We do the homework so you can enjoy your vacation.
Rancho Mirage Permit #1360
I live in Los Angeles with my husband, Peter, and Riley Coyote, our spoiled Chihuahua mix. We live busy lives and love to escape to the peace of the California desert. We enjoy travel, good food, and spending time with friends.
A year and half ago Peter and I spent our first weekend in the California desert together. A half hour after arriving I saw an unfamiliar look of relaxation settle on my husband's face, and by the end of the weekend, we were both enchanted with the quiet, bright stars and blue skies of the desert. We started looking at houses on a whim, and lo and behold, months later we found the Biskra House. We loved the Magnesia Falls neighborhood, and although it needed a lot of work, we could see the house had great potential. We spent a year remodeling it, and the result has been a satisfying creative, logistical and (somewhat) DIY achievement. We hope you feel the same sense of relaxation we feel in this house, and that it makes you as happy as it makes us.
It was important to us to find a home that embodied the California indoor/outdoor lifestyle, and this house fits the bill. We love the intense blue skies, the mountain views, and, of course, the sparkling pool. Riley loves sunbathing and thinks that 3600 square feet is just about right for a 12 pound dog.