We traveled quite far but made better time then we thought so we called Paul at 2p to see if it were ok to go to the house 2 hours early and he said it had not been cleaned yet so to come at 4p. At 4p when we returned the house had still not been cleaned. There was trash overflowing out of the trash can in the garage and maggots were crawling all over the floor. The house itself smelled like the garbage and was nasty! We called Paul and he said that the cleaning lady would be there any minute. We left and went on a search for somewhere else to stay. Unfortunately everything decent was booked. We met Paul back at the house at 6p and he agreed to give us a refund. I was so upset because 19 hours in the car and no where to go. He said it could be clean in a couple hours and we could hang by the pool while we waited. He gave us a small discount for our trouble. As if that wasn't enough the AC didn't work properly so it was 81 in the house until the day before we were to return home. The AC repair man and his wife came by several times trying to fix it. The hot tub had green slime building up in it (we continuously cleaned it) and so much chlorine that the kids swim suites faded a lot. The front of the kitchen cabinets came loose when we opened the door to get out a cup. Paul came to repair it the next day. The bathtub didn't drain well so it filled up when we took showers. The dishwasher compartment that holds the soap does not pop open during the wash cycle so the dishes don't get clean. The carpet is very stained and needs cleaned. The stinky smell in the house never went away. It didn't even come close to feeling like home. The sad thing is that it has nice furniture and would be a nice home if it were given proper attention. Paul was very nice and understanding. He came to the house several times to check on the AC. We were supposed to leave after a week and on Friday night my youngest daughter fell from the hot tub and we took her to the hospital. We sat at the hospital until 2:30a Saturday morning to get 9 stitches in her head. I knew I was going to be to tired to drive us home if we checked out at 10a so we called Paul and since the house was not rented he did let us stay 1 more night for a charge so we could get some sleep. We were so ready to come home and didn't have any change so we overpaid for the extra night. This was the most hectic vacation we have ever been on. We will not be returning to this house!
Owner's Response: We can completly sympathiseze with the guest after a long an ardious journey that no doubt was stessfull. Our previous guest had indeed left the garbage in the garage and the removal and cleaning did take some time. The guests did indeed ask for a full cash refund on the spot that we duly gave them-as is our policy. Afet a few hour of looking around for alterbnative accomodation my our undertstanding is that nothing in thier price range was available.
We suggested that the clean up was nearly completed and that if they would like could use the pool area while we finalised (this was only about 30 mins after they returned) we also said that the new rate would be 10% less than previously agreed.
The following day we did have an issue with the AC and we did attend promptly -we believed it was rectified on that occasion as the temprature did fall 4 degrees while we were in the home.
Helpful votes: 2/2
Did you find this review helpful?