It is disconcerting for a conscientious and health conscious Christian family of non-smokers to be falsely accused of breaking contract and forced to forfeit our security deposit on false grounds. We were concerned upon arrival that a security gate was broken and maintenance informed us it was impossible to repair (not true). While the new carpet was nice to have, the main floor, especially the kitchen, was filthy with dirty floors, rotting onions in the cabinet, and visibly grimy sofas in the family room. We were accused of trashing the unit, leaving doors wide open, and smoking, all of which were untrue. I wish to give the owner the benefit of the doubt in the off chance the place was broken into by vandals between our departure and the arrival of cleaning crew. But we paid dearly. Take pictures before you leave. Having successfully rented through VRBO previously, this was an eye-opening experience and severe loss of trust. We would never again choose a unit offered by this owner, though we visit Florida nearly every autumn.
Owner's Response: The only complaint made that is true here is the soiled sofas, and this guest did not inform me of that.When later informed, the sofas were professionally cleaned immediately.Mr Buchkowski e mailed me at 5:38 on Sept 25, the day before they departed with this-"We have had a wonderful week at your condo this week. Thank you for giving us that opportunity." I can forward this e mail to anyone interested in it. I do have a non smoking clause in my agreement. The following is from an e mail from my cleaner. " I arrived at the property at 10am. The guests told me they would be there until 1pm.We arrived back at the property around 4:30 pm that day.Upon entering the propertythere was a very strong odor of food and cigarette smoke.The kitchen area trash can was overfilled with food and garbage, trash and food spilled over onto the floor,and an abundance of food and partially emptied food containers all around the kitchen counters, floor and sink area. The sliding glass door going to the beach was left unlocked. When I arrived on the second floor, I immediately smelled the smoke odor much stronger.In the bedroom and bathroom at the front of the house I observed ashes on the dresser,bathroom vanity, and in the bathroom trash can. I immediately took pictures and notified the property manager. The room was left as is until the property manager arrived. We saw the quilt had been put in the closet. There were smeared ashes on it and on the top of the bedskirt. It usually takes 2 of us 3-4 hrs to clean this house, however with this group it took over 10 hrs. Because of the smell, we had to deep clean the entire 2nd floor(3 bedrooms), clean all of the furniture, wash all bedding 2 times, wipe down walls in the smoked in bedroom and bathroom, remove the shower curtain and wash with bleach 3 times, etc. I had to purchase more cleaning products specifically branded for smoke odor removal and had to treat the draperies and new carpet in that room with smoke eliminator. This was a very nauseating smell and I had trouble staying in the room to clean it. I did not get any extra compensation for this job, so I had nothing to gain when the owner didn't refund a deposit. I would never leave anyone's house in the condition that this house was left in. " No one had access to my house from the time the group left and when my cleaner arrived, nor could this smoke damage have been done this quickly.This is the 1st deposit withheld in my 4yrs. The complaint is sad & groundless.
Helpful votes: 4/4
Did you find this review helpful?