We own a beautiful corner-unit 2BR 2BA condo on Coronado Beach in the prestigious Coronado Shores resort complex next to the Hotel Del Coronado. Coronado is a village on a peninsula off the coast of San Diego. Coronado Shores is a luxury gated community on Coronado Beach, between the Pacific Ocean and San Diego Bay, 9 miles from the San Diego Airport. Dr. Beach in 2012 rated Coronado Beach as the #1 beach in the USA. My 'blue beach' photo of the surfer shows our building (El Camino) on the left.
CONDO AMENITIES: Our 2BR 2BA condo is a corner unit in the Coronado Shores resort complex in the El Camino building. We see the sun rise in the morning and often get up early to watch the sun come up over the mountains. The views -- in three directions -- are spectacular. We see the San Diego skyscrapers to the northeast; the San Diego mountains, Coronado Bridge and Glorietta Bay to the southeast; and the Navy Seals, Coronado Beach and Tijuana to the south and southwest. We watch the sailboats on Glorietta Bay, the Navy Seals activities, and families enjoying Coronado Beach. We love to listen to the ocean, and the cross-breezes (which only corner unit condos have) are wonderfully invigorating.
Our condo has been newly renovated throughout. In April 2012, strand bamboo flooring was laid down everywhere except in the bedrooms, which are carpeted, and the bathrooms, which are Carerra porcelain tile. In May 2012, the kitchen was completely renovated, with cherry cabinets crafted by a master carpenter, and accented by Volga Blue granite counter tops. Both bathrooms were completely redone in 2011 and 2012. Our condo includes many items available only in the most exclusive hotels including strand bamboo flooring, granite counter tops, solid cherry cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms made by a master carpenter, and Moen shower units.
The colors in our condo are whites, browns, blacks and tans, with occasional touches of red. The walls are white, decorated with modern art, painting by local artist Uwe, and photographs of Coronado. The atmosphere is simple, uncluttered, professional and welcoming. You can see several dozen photos of our condo, together with maps and comments from previous renters, by googling 'Coronado condo' or by going to our website voxprof.com and clicking on the Coronado condo link.
Our unit is completely stocked with dishes, bedding, towels, beach towels, hairdryers, binoculars, maps, books, guidebooks, etc. Four hand-assembled, annotated and regularly updated binders provide more information and coupons about the area: Condo Information, Dining & Restaurants, Activities, and Attractions. There are also several photography books as one of the owners is an avid amateur photographer.
For in-house entertainment, there are 3 flat-screen, high-definition LCD TVs with DVD players: 37' (living room), 32' (master bedroom) and 22' (second bedroom). DISH satellite TV (with Sirius Radio) is on all three TVs. The living room TV has a 2013 top-of-the-line DISH VIP722 Digital Video Recorder (DVR), so you can record over 300 hours of TV programs, and a monthly subscription to over 70 DISH high definition TV stations. A Roku Player and Netflix account provide free access to 1000s of movies. There are a variety of games, books and DVDs for other entertainment, and the living room TV can be hooked up via HMDI cable (provided) if you bring a video game player or other equipment.
On the work side.....We are both university professors and so work at least half days when we are in our condo. We have therefore equipped our place for ourselves -- and for other busy professionals. We have two working desks with chairs and lamps. Our condo has the fastest and most expensive available DSL wired/wireless Internet access at the Shores. Free local and long distance telephone service throughout the U.S. and Canada are also included. Our condo is therefore particularly suitable for professional and retired couples who want to 'get away from it all' (or at least partly get away) for a month or two. Renters have been lawyers, book authors, university professors, retired bank presidents, snowbirds escaping the winter, and desert natives escaping the summer heat.
Our balcony has a marble floor, plexiglass walls and patio furniture. We have one designated parking spot. Each floor in the El Camino building has its own commercial washer & dryer. There are two elevators plus rapid access to the beach via two secure stairwells.
Our condo is NOT suitable for:
1. Pets (dogs, cats, etc) as we are highly allergic and so do not allow ANY pets under ANY circumstances, regardless of size.
2. Smoking - again, allergies prevent us allowing smoking anywhere in our condo (including the balcony) so NO SMOKING under any circumstances.
3. Young children, especially toddlers age 2-5, given the all-white linens, glass and electronics. Like most Shores condos, we also do not have window screens.
4. More than four persons: While the Coronado Shores regulations allow up to six renters in a two bedroom unit, we have capped our maximum at FOUR persons since we believe this is the largest number who can be comfortable together for a month in our condo. It is possible in the short term (e.g., weekends) to be up to six visitors (the living room sofa can be made into a queen bed), but four is really the maximum comfortable number.
SPECIAL OFFERS & OTHER INFO:
* Discount pricing for seniors. We recognize that the current financial crisis has made things very difficult for everyone, but especially for seniors. We are therefore offering a discount to a single or couple who are 60 or older, who are willing to treat our place as gently as they would their own home. (The senior discount is not available for more than 2 persons renting our condo; occasional overnight visitors are OK, but more than than the rental must be at the non-senior rate.) See rental rates page for discounts.
* DISCOUNT for returning renters. We normally give a $500 discount off current rates for returning renters who are in good standing.
* We provide welcome gifts for renters on arrival.
CORONADO SHORES AMENITIES: There are 10 high-rise buildings in the Coronado Shores complex, each with doormen and video security. The complex includes eight tennis courts and four swimming pools/Jacuzzi. Gas barbecues and picnic tables are available for picnics by the sea. The clubhouse has pool tables, big screen TV and a bar, with an outdoor veranda on the beach, and a table tennis and recreation area where regular events (e.g. dances, card games) occur. A pavilion is available for private parties and special events (e.g. wedding receptions). A fully equipped, staffed fitness center has nautilus, weight lifting equipment and sauna/Jacuzzi. All facilities are available at no charge to tenants and their guests. There is a long, lighted boardwalk that runs along Coronado Beach, starting at our condo and running north past the Hotel Del Coronado and multi-million dollar homes, suitable for walks, people gazing and exercising, both day and night.
LASTLY, we are told regularly that our condo is one of the nicest two-bedroom units in the Shores because:
1. Our unit was originally upgraded and decorated by Michelle Iacuzzo who does multi-million dollar homes in Coronado and we have continued to upgrade it regularly. Our condo has many items available only in the most exclusive hotels including strand bamboo flooring, granite countertops, solid cherry cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms made by a master carpenter, and Moen shower units.
2. Our beach access is exceptionally easy (2 minutes by secure stairwell, 3 by elevator).
3. We have all three views -- Coronado Beach, Coronado Bay and San Diego skyline -- most units have one view (bay or beach).
4. Our condo has the latest electronics: flat screen, high-definition TVs; the newest DISH DVR (digital video recorder); all the high-definition and HBO TV channels; NETFLIX via Roku Player; and fast DSL wireless internet access.
5. Our building has its own tennis courts and pool and is right on the ocean.
6. Because there are no other Shores buildings directly next to us, we do not have people looking into our condo, which many units do.
7. There is nearby free street (daytime only) parking for visitors, which many other Shores buildings do not offer.
8. Our condo is set up for professionals who work part days.
9. Lastly, we are not full-time landlords trying to maximize rental income from the property. We are university professors who plan to eventually live several months a year here and have decorated with that purpose in mind. We are renting our unit only on a part-time basis, and are very careful to select renters who will treat our condo as gently as we do.
ALL BOOKINGS MUST BE MADE THROUGH THE OWNERS, LORRAINE AND CHARLES HERMANN. Please note that our condo is NOT listed on Craigslist; we are listed on HomeAway, VRBO and Vacation Rentals.
CORONADO SHORES BOOKINGS ARE BY THE MONTH ONLY; Shores condos are NOT available by the day or week. Normally, rentals start on the first day of the month and end on the last day of the month. City law and Coronado Shores Owner Bylaws require a minimum of 25 nights rental. See City Ordinance, Transient Occupancy, Ch. 86.78 at
Anyone attempting to rent a Coronado Shores Condo to you for less than that time period is 99% likely to be a rental scam.
If you are interested in renting our condo please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
We are professors at Texas A&M University who rent out our condo for most of the year while we teach in Texas. Eventually, once we retire, we plan to spend the winters in College Station and the summers in Coronado, but until then, we mostly rent our place except for Thanksgiving and the winter break over New Years. We were married here, have made multiple trips to Coronado/San Diego, and bought our 'pied à terre' in the Coronado Shores complex in 2005. We particularly like our condo because our building is right on the beach and we have a corner unit with windows on two sides, giving us both beach and bay views.
Chuck has been coming out here since he was a teenager. We were married here (with our wedding reception at the Shores Roedder Pavilion) and have been visiting Coronado ourselves since the early 1990s. We decided to buy our own place, and were fortunate to do so, in early 2005.
We think of Coronado as a bit like Maui used to be in the 1950s (but a whole lot closer to Texas than Hawaii) - a small island village with unique colorful houses, flowers everywhere, and people outside walking and biking and enjoying themselves. We can leave the windows open day and night - no bugs - and enjoy the ocean breezes.
San Diego offers all the amenities of a world class city; Coronado the advantages of an island village community. We are Zoo members and love the theater, both the Old Globe and the La Jolla Playhouse. We enjoy exploring the hiking trails around San Diego (e.g. Sunrise Highway).
LOCAL ACTIVITIES in Coronado include bicycling, bird watching, boogie boarding, concerts in the park, fishing, golfing, hiking, library, local theater, parks, restaurants, sandy beaches with lifeguards, sailing, surfing, swimming, tennis and windsurfing. There is even winter ice skating at the Hotel Del! Coronado has a beautiful 18-hole championship golf course, and the Glorietta Bay Marina is next door for sailors. There are bike trails around the island, including a 20-mile round trip Rails-to-Trails path that starts by our condo building. There is an excellent public library with a nice movie collection and free concerts in the park on Sundays. The Glorietta Bay Civic Center and Promenade is next door to us, with a new Community Center (huge pool) and park running along the bay. And, of course, you may just prefer to walk the beach and view the sunset. If you leave the island and go to San Diego, attractions include Balboa Park, Scripps Birch Aquarium, Gas lamp Quarter, Legoland, Old Town San Diego, San Diego Museums, San Diego Zoo, Sea World and the Wild Animal Park.
Our 2BR2BA condo is a corner unit in the Coronado Shores resort complex, facing south towards Mexico. We see the sun rise in the morning and often get up early to watch the sun come up over the mountains. The views -- in three directions -- are spectacular. We see the San Diego skyscrapers to the northeast; the San Diego mountains, Coronado Bridge and Glorietta Bay to the southeast; and the Navy Seals, Coronado Beach and Tiajuana to the south and southwest. We watch the sailboats on Glorietta Bay, the Navy Seals activities, and families enjoying Coronado Beach. We love to listen to the ocean, and the cross-breezes (which only corner unit condos have) are wonderfully invigorating.
Our favorite activities: Relaxation - listening to the waves and spending time on the beach - enjoying the activities going on in Coronado and San Diego - jogging on the beach - photography - watching the Navy Seals.
Local activities in Coronado include world-class golf, bicycling, bird watching, boogie boarding, concerts in the park, fishing, hiking, library, local theater, parks, restaurants, sandy beaches with lifeguards, sailing, surfing, swimming, tennis and windsurfing. There are dozens and dozens of restaurants to choose from in Coronado alone, ranging from family restaurants to world-class gourmet dining at our personal favorite, Chez Loma. If you golf, Coronado has a beautiful 18-hole championship golf course. If you sail, the Glorietta Bay Marina is right next door. If you bike, there are bike trails all around the island. A 20-mile round-trip Rails-to-Trails bike path starts across from our condo. On Sundays in the summer, there are free concerts in the park. The local public library is excellent, with books, movies and internet access. Next door to the Shores complex, there is a new (summer 2007) municipal recreation center with basketball courts and outdoor swimming pool; a skate park is available in Tidelands Park. There is even winter ice skating at the Hotel Del.