OK, But Lots of Missing Details
Overall, this house is pretty nice. It's a large McMansion in a gated community in Indio. It has all the amenities--fireplaces, plasma TV's and pool lights.
But in the end, I can't fully recommend it.
1. The owner is not very responsive to emails. And when he is, he is rude. (More on that in a minute.) You're paying him to rent his house--a little graciousness and customer service would be appreciated.
2. The pool does have solar heat, but it's useless during the winter. After we arrived, we discovered that the pool was only about 58 degrees. I called the owner, who told me it would cost an additional thousand clams to heat the pool for 3 days and that it would take 40 hours for it to heat up. I don't think he's making money off of this, but you'll notice that other listings make clear when there's a fee to heat the pool. In the end, we couldn't swim in the pool, which was a major disappointment. I chose this house on the basis of price. Had we heated the pool, this house would have cost the same amount as a nicer house in Palm Springs--not a McMansion sandwiched between the middle of nowhere and the epicenter of the foreclosure crisis.
3. When I told the owner I felt misled, he sent me patronizing emails: Him: "What led you to believe that pool heating is included?" Me: "it's standard practice to list all additional fees in your vrbo listing." Him: "That wasnt my question please re read." Huh? I politely asked for a small discount. No luck.
4. There's a camera pointing at the pool and a big sign that says you're being filmed. Not exactly welcoming.
5. The oven doesn't maintain temperature.
6. two hundred clam cleaning fee is outrageous.
7. After you pay, you find out the bunk beds can't support adult weights--so the number of people the place sleeps is misrepresented in the listing.
8. Neon orange paint job in one room, creepy horror movie writing on the walls in another.
In sum, the owner has to up his game. The code to the gate to get into the development had a typo, so we couldn't get in.
Yeah, we had a good time, but sadly, I don't think I'd return.
Did you find this review helpful?