Worst vacation rental ever!
We were completely shocked when we pulled up to the "Lone Star Cottage." Upon stepping onto the porch, we found cigarette butts in the planters and littered about. Weeds were growing rampant through the wood slats of the deck. When we entered the house, it reeked of smoke and we found more cigarette butts on the floor. When we opened the freezer to put our food in, we found old food, a large spill of something orange and sticky, and mold. There were no cleaning supplies in sight, other than an old broken mop. Since it was getting late, I immediately went to the store to purchase cleaning supplies. We simply could not stay in a house of this condition. My husband stayed behind and immediately contacted Jeremy from iTrip. He was not able to reach him but left a message. When he called back he said the cleaners were "on the way over right now." Meanwhile I returned to the cottage with a car full of cleaning supplies, I spent two hours cleaning up the butts, mopping the floor, bleaching the inside of the fridge, bleaching the sink, and bleaching the bathroom shower/tiles. We needed candles and Febreeze to even make a dent in the smoky-smell. It was filthy. Finally after all this I had to stop cleaning so I could put my 5 year old to bed. We had brought along our own sheets, but when I pulled out the blanket from the closet, it has cigarette burns on it. It was sort of like staying in a frat house. Everything was smelly, dirty, sticky, broken, and just nasty in general. The cleaners who were supposedly on their way over, NEVER SHOWED UP. When we called Jeremy again to complain we were finally offered to have "new cleaners" come by on WEDNESDAY. At this point our "vacation" was half over and I had already bought all the supplies and scrubbed/cleaned/bleached the house myself, so there was no point! We tried to make the best of it and spent as much time outside of the home as possible.
Owner's Response: There is no way that the description of the condition of the home could be true since it was cleaned the same day as they checked in. In fact, both the cleaner and a licensed handyman were in the home not long before they checked in. Both of them denied smelling cigarette smoke in the home. The standard cleaning had taken place including emptying and cleaning of the fridge. We had no reports of any cigarette burns in the blankets and this is the first I've heard of them. The guest was offered an additional cleaning as well as their money back on the cleaning fee. They declined the extra cleaning. The tub has been recaulked. It had been caulked prior to the season starting.
The home has a stellar record that speaks for itself. I'm sorry the guest had such a poor experience. Subsequent guests have been very pleased.
Helpful votes: 0/1
Did you find this review helpful?