NOT WORTH THE MONEY
Submitted: April 23, 2012
Stayed: July 2011
I felt this review needed to be written to help other people make an informed decision about this home so they will not be disappointed as we were. The house was nice but for the money this house was not worth it. There are so many other houses available for the same amount or less and with much more amenities. The issues with the house were:
* There is absolutely no lake view as the ad states.
* There is no use of either fireplace. We were not told this until after we arrived at the home. It was very cold in the basement (63 degrees despite thermostat being set to 84 degrees) so we wanted to use the fireplace while we watched a movie. We were told that the owner turned off the gas because it was too expensive for renters to use. It was clearly written in the ad:
“So come and nestle up, light the fireplace and relax after an adventurous day at Deep Creek Lake!!”
* The “brand new porch built in 2007” appears not to have been cleaned since then. It was full of old leaves, bugs and cobwebs (not to mention an old hot dog) that it was not even desirable to use. The huge unfinished wood picnic table was too big for the porch and took up at least 80% of the porch space.
* There were no table/chairs for the huge wrap around deck. There were four cheap plastic chairs stacked on the porch to bring out but definitely not for a nice dinner on the deck. Every other place we have stayed they have had a nice table (with seating for 6 or 8 at least) that you could enjoy the beautiful Deep Creek evenings having your dinner outside. There was nothing!
* There were no hangers in the entire unit. None of the six plus closets in the house had any hangers. We had to go out and buy our own.
* Some of the rooms had no lamps at all. Seems like a minor point but it is all about creating an atmosphere. The lamps were from Walmart and were nice, so why not buy a few more.
* The owner (nor his “business partner”) knew how to help us get the surround sound to work.
* The deck, front porch and all outdoor lights need cleaning. There is definitely a bug issue at the home and periodic sweeping and cleaning needs to be done. This could be seen by anyone visiting the property.
This house could be a very nice rental if the owners saw it as a “home away from home” versus a business venture. People save for a vacation to stay at beautiful Deep Creek and want a place where everything has been done to make their stay everything
Owner's Response: As in any business, there is always one that comes along and tries to tarnish a good thing. I only would of wished that this review stated facts in regard to their complaint. So I feel it is best to answer briefly but most importantly, correctly - 1.house not worth it - I am glad to provide email feedback from every renter as well as repeat renters. In 4 years, I had one person call and say there was not enough dishware.This was when my wife and I just started renting it. Guess what, we called our cleaner and she went out and bought more dishware and delivered to the house.This person has been the only negative response like this. 2. No lake views - this is correct but my wording is "lake and mountain view Community".Our home points to the lake but no direct views because of trees on the lot across the street.3. Fireplace - this is a good one - they failed to mention that they rented in July/August and yes we do turn fireplaces off in summer to avoid burning propane because the pilot lights stay lit. Needless to say, they turned the air conditioning down which caused the 63 degree temperature and that is why they were cold. Oh yeah, forgot to mention. I sent a service tech guy out that night and that was the report I received(service call 125.00).4. I could go on and on about the remaining review but I think any rational person would realize that these people simply like to complain. Could some of these things be addressed, probably so, but let's face it - it is a house in the mountains and you are going to get some cobwebs and the outside lights will get dirty. I guess the hot dog took them over the top....Anyway, maybe this was fueled by the fact that they damaged my brand new end table and then tried to hide the damage. After providing them proof of the damage they then admitted to it. From there it went to a battle to regain their security deposit of 500.00. After much dispute, they filed a complaint against me and lost. Why did they lose, because they were wrong and I followed the guidelines of the contract. I charged them for the cost of the table and sent the remaining deposit back. Anyone looking to rent, I would ask to please call me, let me send additional pictures and then make an informed decision to rent our home. Based on history, I think you will be pleased. Thank you for taking the time to read this response. Enjoy Your Day!!
Helpful votes: 9/9
Did you find this review helpful?