This property is not as advertised. Photos and descriptions on website and VRBO are misleading.
The following is a list of issues (with photos) that I sent to the owner of this property following our girlfriends getaway to Taos in July 2012. Her first response included a small (compared to what we paid) "good will check, with the understanding by everyone involved that this matter is satisfied and over." I declined and asked for a refund of one night stay (out of four) for each of the guests (8) and I was immediately dismissed and the "good will" refund was rescinded. The images that were formed based on photos and descriptions on her website and VRBO are very different than the reality of the condition of the property.
* VRBO states "Two Private Homes Side by Side" when actually there are 3 homes that share a property. They are not private. Homes B and C (not rented) share a front lawn. The Site Plan on your website is not accurate at all. (NOTE: immediately following this concern the website site plan included a note that "the site plan is being revised")
* VRBO also states that there is a Gazebo and your site plan shows a covered pergola... neither existed.
* The "spectacular" and "expansive" views from all directions include a large dirt pile, a home with numerous rundown cars in front, a backyard with blue tarps covering who knows what, knocked over garbage cans, fencing, power lines, a highway, a dog house / play house with garbage inside and construction material leaning on it and a bright silver Air Stream trailer.
* The firewood was not covered and was wet
* There are 4 cheap plastic chairs outside. TOTAL. No table or chairs on any of the decks.
* The "private hot tub" is not private (see above)
* The bathrooms had one roll of toilet paper and no extras. There were also no extra garbage bags. Both of which we had to purchase.
* There is no privacy glass or shade in the 2nd bathroom (House A) and part of the fence is missing in the yard that is in between the bathroom and the highway, thus giving people driving by a pretty good show.
* The grill is filthy.
* The larger beds in home A are sitting on the floor and there is construction material leaning against the wall in the room with twin beds.
* The backyard security system is wire wrapped around the french door handles which does not hold the doors shut. None of the french doors locked properly and they can be opened/ closed from both sides by pulling / pushing on the handles
We spent NO time outside relaxing at this property due to the conditions. It's a shame, NM is beautiful.
Owner's Response: I am truly sorry that you were disappointed with my home, it saddens me. Please note that both the guests who stayed the week before you and the week after you enjoyed my property. I have come to realize that not every property is for everyone. I welcome all critiques and compliments, though I must say your accountant of things lacks accuracy, and your malevolence is curious. I take pride in my home, it is my livelihood, be assured issues you mentioned were immediately addressed.
I revised my website stating that I am in the process of editing the site plan and floor plan of one home. You are right, there is no Gazebo/Pergola on the Compound at Stargazer, there is however, an extra deck, and an additional 20’ x 30’ ten foot high Game room with a Pool Table. Before you booked, we spoke and I explained the change in the site and then followed up with an email that included a very detailed list of each home. I apologize that it was confusing to you.
I purchased a marble table and chrome and wicker chairs for outside dining and the three decks. [You claimed there were four plastic chairs outside total. During your stay there was: 10 plastic chairs, a wooden bench, and logs to sit on around the bonfire].
I believe that renter and owner should be working as a team to make sure the the renter has the best visit possible. To obtain that goal, our signed contract stated: “Lessee is obligated to notify lessor or lessor’s agent of any problems, immediately.” You and your party stayed 5 nights without contacting me regarding a single concern you may have encountered. And, even though our signed contract states “all monies shall be non-refundable”, I offered you a “good will” refund to try and appease you. Your response was to negotiate. I never rescinded my offer.
While hoping to resolve your issues, we exchanged several emails after your visit. One of the many things I clearly expressed to you
was that the doors are top of the line Marvin Doors and they absolutely lock. Yet you chose to relay your false statement on the internet. It would have taken 3 minutes to explain to you how to lock them, if you had only called.
The architectural term for your “large dirt pile”, is called a berm. You are right, there is a berm in front of the yard shared between the two homes that are rented. It adds privacy, and frames the views of the majestic mountains beyond, when guests are using the fire pit or hot tub or enjoying the compound.
Helpful votes: 1/2
Did you find this review helpful?