surprised at the glowing reviews
my husband & i (early & mid 30s) and his parents (late 70s) stayed at this house over labor day weekend.
i am a native angeleno and we have rented many properties in malibu over the years, including a few on this exact street.
after reading glowing reviews i was surprised by the brusque communications with the owner and low quality of these accommodations. price is a little bit lower than others in the area but all others we have stayed at either are much nicer or offer membership to the beach club. we will not stay here again nor would we recommend this to anyone.
- front garden is nicely maintained.
- good Wifi
- location is decent
- bathrooms good for elderly (easy step shower)
- awful, small & incredibly uncomfortable beds & bedding (cheap cheap cheap)
- not enough outdoor furniture (have to drag the few pieces they have around the property
- hot & stuffy. only 1 bedroom has a ceiling fan, and even with doors & windows open this property was impossible to get to a comfortable temperature. none of us slept well, combo of the worst beds ever and no airflow.
- old TVs, hard to watch since they are all at odd angles and bad quality picture. no cable even though it says they have satelitte/cable
- i realize this is a matter of personal taste but all four of us hated the decor.
- no hanging clothing storage at all except in the master bedroom
- no towel racks or places to dry towels in either bathroom or outside. master bath has a tiny towel rack right over toilet (so not a place to hang wet bath towels to dry!)
- messy. apart from the front garden nothing is well maintained! stained carpets and all the drawers were filled with piles of junk and there was alot of old food in the cabinets
- sink is ridiculously small.
Owner's Response: We were shocked when we read this guests review of our home. She had contacted me several times during her stay with questions, but never mentioned any problem with the property whatsoever. We even have a letter on display in the home with our contact info asking guests to notify us if anything is not as it should be, so that we may have it promptly corrected. The Spanish architecture, tiles and décor, the size of our beds, and the patio furniture, are all clearly described and their photos are on VRBO. If the style of the home, the patio furniture and the size of our beds really didn't suit them, why did they book our home? In addition to the ceiling fan in the master we have 2 large ceiling fans in the living/dining area that descend from the 18 ft. high ceilings. I'm not sure how she missed them. Also both bedrooms have windows and French doors that open into the courtyard and the entire back wall of the living room is 8 foot tall French doors that open to the fresh air. I'm not sure if "stuffy" is even possible with so many windows and doors. In addition to the hanging towel racks that display the clean towels there is also a towel bar on the wall next to the shower for hanging towels to dry. It's visible in the mirrors reflection on the photo of the blue bath. We also have a stacking washer/dryer in the home. The bedding she refers to as cheap is Vera Wang and certainly not inexpensive. This guest contacted me and requested a late check out of 2:00 pm instead of 11:00 am on the day of her departure. She stated that "they wanted to get a few more hours of calm" for her in-laws before their flight home. I let her know that I was sorry, but we had guests with reservations beginning at 3:00 the same day and could not accommodate her request. Our housekeeping staff needs several hours to thoroughly clean and restock the home prior to each arrival. We cannot accommodate the requests of one guest at the expense of another. Apparently she was extremely unhappy with my response, no matter how politely given. And I first heard of a problem with the cable service when I read it in her review! I checked with the guests who arrived at her departure and they said the cable and TV's were all working perfectly. I'm not sure why she has made so many inaccurate statements about our home. We strive to provide our guests with a great experience. We have professional housekeepers and a crew that maintain our home and gardens year round.
Did you find this review helpful?