This house was my first VRBO experience and I was not impressed.
The house is generally as advertised. The items I take exception with are as follows:
The "large screen TV" is a standard television, not flat panel and is really not that large compared to TVs today. Takes multiple controls to make it function.
The dining room does have large windows but as we were visiting during the summer we had to keep the blinds closed because it was to bright/sunny and hot
The kitchen is well equiped but with old, worn out appliances and cheap tableware. The pots and pans are worn out and there is a shortage of mixing bowls. The toaster really needs to be replaced.
Calling the yard a "forest" is an exageration.
There are two kayaks as advertised but the green one leaks badly (i.e., don't take it out into deep water for very long). There was only one life jacket so both can't be used safely at the same time.
The place does have a "beach" but it is shared with the people from next door. The pictures make the place seen quite isolated but it is close to two other houses on either side.
The place is locked like a fortress. It takes three locks to get in the front door which is almost impossible to do before the alarm goes off. The oother door on the main level is gated with multiple locks so hopefully you won't have to get out of the place fast due to a fire since they all require keys from the inside in order to get out.
Only one window has a screen (and it has holes) so you can't open the house up at night in the summer without letting in a swarm of insects.
The Internet acted up for us the entire time. Some of the cabling needs to be replaced and you have to be patient to get a connection. It's DSL.
The place is advertised with Off-street parking but you really need a four-wheel drive vehicle to get up and down the steep driveway without losing traction. The drive has obviously had problems in the past and their is severe erosion. The gate at the entry needs to be closed when coming and going and that requires someone to get out of the car on the hill.
I would not call the BBQ and authentic outdoor parrilla. It's a grill top over a campfire spot on the ground.
There is a system that pressurizes the water and it leaks in such a way that the noisy pump runs every 20 seconds for about 10 seconds or so even when the water is turned off. There is a switch to turn off the pump.
The house is in a good location but I would not rent it again.
Owner's Response: Thank you for your feedback.
Because of it we were able to address the issues raised. It is hard to sometimes manage certain things from far away even with a local agent there. As mentioned, given your experience, we are happy to host you at a reduced rate next time. We have many guests that return year after year.
Please be aware that the following has been done:
* Kitchen has been restocked and new toaster bought. Note, the tableware is not cheap. Perhaps you are used to more lavish items that are simply not availabe in Argentina. We get the best of what is available as we love being there and feeling that we are at home.
* The kayaks - yes one seems to have been ruined by a previous guest. We will attempy to fix it if possible. It is unfortunate people cannot treat things with a little more respect. Two new kayaks were left there on our last visit less than 12 months ago.
In terms of your other comments:
* The house is on a block of over 2000 sq meters. It has many huge (Coihue) trees at the back. Some are 100 years old. To me this feels like my own little forest. The house next door is situated in a manner that cannot be seen from ours. To me this is as secluded as I would like it to be.
* Your comment about the house being a fortress. We are a security conscious family as we have small children. When we sleep, we like to feel that our family is safe. Although there are very few issues in Bariloche, we have spent the money to ensure we are completely safe there. Ours guest benefit from this.
* Internet : Yes the internet service in Bariloche is average, but it works most of the time. Unfortuantely, I always seem to get my work emails! This is not an issue with the house, it is an issue with the telecommunications company. Argentina is not United States when it comes to technology. With that said, it has better steaks and chocolate.
* The best parking for the house, is at the top of the block. There is plenty of space there for multiple cars. I mentioned this in an email to you - which you never replied to.
* The BBQ parilla was built by locals. We have had some amazing chorizo there (with the people that built it). It is as authentic as they come.
* The water pump brings fresh water from the lake. When there is a drop in pressure is re-pressurizes the house. If you leave a tap on in the house (even dripping) it will activate the pump. We have had plumbers check this and they have confirmed that. I also mentioned this to you in an email.
Helpful votes: 10/13
Did you find this review helpful?