Not Guest Friendly
Submitted: June 22, 2010
Stayed: May 2010
While the cabin was fairly clean, that is dusted, clean floors, adequate bedding, etc. there were some serious issues when it comes to kitchen amenities and overall appearances. The hostess scolded us for complaining about the cleanliness of the refrigerator, toaster/oven, the deck table and chairs and the sole table top fan. The pots and pans were absolutely filthy with burnt on food and grease residue. We had to scrub 3 of them before we could use them.
The fan was covered with 1/4 inch of dust. The toaster/oven front was black with burnt food and crumbs. The overall landscaping was overcome with weeds. The deck table was covered with dirt. There were two chairs and a side table that were covered with what appeared to be mold or mildew. The deck umbrella was deteriorated with many holes in it. The path to the cabin is dirt covered and if wet, you will get your shoes dirty.
We stayed here 5 nights and were given only one set of bath and hand towels for each of us (2). I took pictures of the condition of this place as well as the amenities. I would not recommend staying here.
Owner's Response: We've had renters, both repeat customers, immediately before and just after these particular renters and both with no complaints. So we were not a little surprised by their reaction to the cabin. As a salesman I want to believe that the customer is always right but I also know that two people can look at the same thing and see two different things.
Upon arrival the renters appear to have put on the white gloves and quickly found the degree of cleanliness not up to their standards. When the "hostess" went to greet them as she always does she was instead treated like the maid and it became clear that she and they were not going to get along. She tried to accommodate them by re-cleaning the items they complained about but when it became a matter of one thing after another she finally felt it necessary to request they contact me, her husband, with any further issues. They never did.
- We advertise it as a cabin in the woods and by definition it is rustic. There is no grass or garden. It is the woods.
- The footpath is wood chips contained by stones on either side.
- We do not provide housekeeping during your stay. We present you with a clean cabin. Broom and dustpan, a Hoover, and cleaning fluids, paper towels, etc are all provided. We provide you with locally hand made soap to use and to take home with you.
- The kitchen is well equipped. Basic necessities, salt, sugar, tea, and coffee are provided. However there is neither dishwasher nor laundry. It is a cabin.
- We provide initial linens only. You are welcome to bring your own should you need more.
- While I appreciate these renters bringing these deficiencies to our attention I have to say that their descriptions seem a little excessive. I guess we benefit from their hard work bringing it up to standard for us. Still, cast iron pans should not be scoured as they lose their cure and will rust.
Perhaps a hotel would be more appropriate for these renters next time, or at the least a more expensive house on the beach.
Did you find this review helpful?